Low watt tube clean tones-Supro, Laney, Blackstar, Fender

60s Pop Man

I just viewed this Psionic Audio vid.

It's like purchasing an amp like this is a gamble. Hah!
So it goes.

Last edited:

Tony Done

I‘m also interested in this topic and especially what people‘s opinions are on how to get a ‚good‘ sound at low volume (e.g. getting a >1W amp, using an attenuator, getting a smaller/low-efficiency speaker, etc.)? I always seem to need a certain volume (which is way above bedroom-level) to achieve a pleasing and especially balanced tone.

I can't offer much advice on amp choices, as I'm well out of touch, but I recently did a speaker mod. I have had a first series Epi VJ pretty much since they first came out, and it has had a range of electronic mods for more brightness brightness and less noise, plus a 12dB L-pad attenuator. It was OK, but not great, and the L-pad took the bright edge off the tone, so I didn't use it. A couple of years ago I decided to have another go, so I swapped the speaker for one with "bright" specs, a Jensen C8R, and that made what I thought was a big improvement to the tone, such that I now use the L-pad. - So the speaker is one aspect of low volume playing that I would be looking at closely in future.

EmandoDave

I love my Laney Cub 10 (v.1). It will do exactly what you want in your parameters. Take a look at the old "Upgrading a Cub 10" thread for some great discussion. I found those upgrades to take a great little toneful amp into a fantastic little toneful amp. That 6v6 circuit is just so good!

Edit: add your favorite spring reverb for your surf. This amp LOVES pedals. The Polara is especially sweet thru this amp.

Last edited:

sll

Gold Supporting Member

huskerjohn

Low volume, clean, and tube powered. That is a good description of the TopHat Portly Cadet or Prince Royale depending on your preference for 6V6 or EL84 tubes.

I would love to test drive the TopHat Portly Cadet. Unfortunately I really can’t find any sound clips or YouTube videos demonstrations for the amp other than this one. The guy doesn’t identify it as the Portly Cadet, but I am pretty sure it is.

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Love my Laney Lionheart head. I like running it through 2x12 Celestion Alnico Blues. What's also great is that it runs on a single EL 84 so you can get a NOS/ANOS quality tube and not have to worry about tube matching. Clean tone for days.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom