low wattage amp for this tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by re-animator, Jul 4, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i guess this is the holy grail for me.... because I've been chasing it like a white whale for years now (maybe even half of my guitar-playing life).

I guess the tone is markedly mesa mark 1/2 tone. Has a thick sustaining, saxophone meets violin tone. I haven't found pedals that do it, I haven't found amps that do it other than those 100 lb mesa combos.

here's a clip:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TJ23aQ635WQ

I know santana is facing more and more derision from guitarists these days, but I happen to really dig that tone, and its something my current gear doesn't even come close to getting. Cranked amp + tube screamer is closest for me, but its way more eric johnson than santana.

Anyway, I'd love to find a 2nd amp (low wattage) thats portable and useable in low-volume situations, but maybe handle occasional gigging duty.

So what am I after?? something dumble-y??

I'm thinking of maybe just picking up a mark 1 or reissue and sticking 6v6s in it, but it would still probably be really loud and heavy. The other thing I've been thinking about was getting an old bf or sf princeton or vibro champ and modding it with the "mesa mods." i.e. tweed tonestack (or just bypassing the tonestack), and modded vibrato circuit as cascaded gain stages. seems like a lot of work though, and i'd rather not beat up a vintage amp.

anything else that's low wattage and under say $1000 that can get these tones?? I'm open to pedals too, but that hunt has been pretty bleak so far.

2. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

I like Santana, but I use more of a ratty beat-up Fender tone myself. I have a BF Vibro-Champ gets amazing sustain and controlled feedback at low volume with a cheap crunch pedal but not really loud enough for gigging. I got this Peavey Windsor Studio Class A Valve Amp. (Yeah, I know, Peavy-yuck.) LOUD 15-watt combo, 6L6 or EL34 tube types interchangable. Best part it's got a built-in power attenuator so you can really make it scream at low volume. Paid $390 new which is less than the cost of a nice Princeton. Hey check it out anyway it might help you get the sound you are after.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  3. ahab

ahab Member

Don't talk to me about white whales...

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

5. lp144

lp144 Supporting Member

Tokai Love Rock with Goodwood pickups > Zendrive > Germino 55LV with JJ 6V6s > Clark Regulator or Alessandro Muzzle > Port City Wave with a Scumback M75 65 watt.

Just played it tonight at a gig - it's got a Santana-ish feel and sustains forever when needed.

All the best in your hunt.

6. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I guess the tone is markedly mesa mark 1/2 tone. Has a thick sustaining, saxophone meets violin tone. I haven't found pedals that do it, I haven't found amps that do it other than those 100 lb mesa combos.

my Mesa V-twin pedal gets that tone easily, actually better tone when I was running it through my fender custom vibralux, of course Mesa stopped making the V-twin a few years ago, mine is about 20 years old, the only pedal I have found that I love, and now I have the 100lb Mark IV with 6v6's which also get great tone.