Low wattage amp heads....get it right the first time!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

It's funny how all the amp manufacturers jumped on the low wattage mini amp head craze after the Tiny Terror became so hugely successful. Now, due to popular demand they are all scrambling to produce a two channel, footswitchable version of their previously released one channel design.

Examples:
    Egnater Rebel 20.............Rebel 30
    Orange Tiny Terror...........Dual Terror
    Krank Rev. Jr...................Krank Rev. Jr. Pro

I love these new low wattage amps but common sense tells you if they are meant for small gigs the average guitar player would want two channels and the ability to footswitch between channels. C'mon people get it right the first time so we don't have to wait for months for the good stuff to come out.:horse

2. Unabender

Unabender Member

Well, 18-22 watts is not "low wattage" in my book and what's wrong with using the clean/slightly dirty for a base sound, and pedals for more dirt/lead?

3. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

That works for me. I've set up my Rebel for good cleans then run a Barber Dirty Bomb in front of it for killer overdrive/distortion tones....it turns the Rebel into a semi 2 channel amp....works great!

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I don't see a two channel amp as necessary at all. I'm totally into the base tone/pedal thing. Just like in the old days. OK, you got me. I guess a 4-holer Marshall is technically a two channel amp :D

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I think there's close to just as many players who use a single channel on an amp and use pedals for dirt. Myself included, so it's not an issue for me.

6. andrekp

andrekp Member

Or maybe use a single channel amp with the guitar volume for dirty and clean and a boost pedal for more dirtier.

Two channels is probably more popular, but hardly necessary, with the right amp.

7. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

LOL! <shakes head>

Don't have a marketing degree, do you?

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Actually I do have a BS in Marketing!!

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I'm starting to do this as well and I don't even gig (for now at least). My "pedal board" has become my AxeFX. Plugged it into the front end of my VAC25 just on edge of breakup at really low levels and I was blown away how good all of the FX were going straight in like pedals.
    I just bought a Ceriatone 2061x today... can't wait to try it on that one.
    Plus, the VAC and Ceriatone technically ARE two channels but you would use an A/B switch to bounce between them.

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Actually, this more closely describes my style. One of my best gigging tones was a Les Paul into a 1x15 Delta Blues clean channel, turned to about 8-9, with an OCD set for more boost than dirt. Highly responsive setup there, all from the guitar's Vol control. BTW, this was a "heavy blues"/classic rock band.

11. Ryan

Ryan Member

bs.

;)

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I might not tell anyone. :cool:

I don't think any company's goal is to "get it right the first time" by building the perfect product for all people. Rather, I think they focus on making money. And starting with a more basic product and building market demand for a product segment (never mind testing out that market segment) is a great way to do that, eh? Of course, Orange's strategy would be much different than someone like Fractal.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I dunno, I'd say they got it right the first time and saw a reason to expand on an already successful idea to rope in the previous 1 channel owners as well as people who were holding out for a 2 channel. I personally don't like channel switching amps and prefer a single channel or two channels that don't switch so you can jump 'em.

14. Kranktech

Kranktech Member

If it was up to us at Krank, we never would have made a 2 channel Jr.
    1 channel was enough for us at the factory.
    It was all of the phone calls and email action that spurred the channel switchers into being!

All you need is your guitar, amp, and away you go!
    (okay, maybe a nice OD pedal):AOK