Low Wattage Amp That Sounds Like a Bogner Shiva?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by impactblue, May 20, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

Does such a treasure exist?????

2. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

3. impactblue

impactblue Member

Cool...

Is the Duende alot mroe high gain than the Shiva??

4. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

No, is the simple answer to your question. The new Duende (red knobs)has a mighty appealing "B" (gain) channel. In some ways like the Shiva and in some ways different.

I have the older Duende, with the black knobs as shown in the photo. I think the basic clean sound of the A channel on this Duende is more appealing to me than the newer Duende.

The newer 15W Duende has a much heavier power supply, and I think, therefore, more punch and ba!!s than the older Duende.

I had both amps side by side for two months and had a very difficult time deciding between the two.

They are building quite a few variations on the original Duende now, including, a 30 watt and a 10 watt version, and a 6L6 version. If you are interested, I suggest you call Bogner and speak with Charley. He is a pleasant and knowledgeable fellow and should be able to help you. I usually get him when I call around 5PM east coast time. Guess it would be about 2 for him.

5. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I'm not sure what the Bogner sounds like but the CARR MERCURY is the most amazing low watt amp around. Its like 12 great amps in one well made portable box. Its also a real pedal killer and really shines in a guitar-cord-amp setup.

6. kenny335

kenny335 Member

I agree. The mercury is a seriously versatile amp. I love mine. I also love that I can play at midnight through a killer sounding tube amp! Too cool.

7. SealNYC

SealNYC Member

Mercury and Duende are both amazing sounding amps, but if you're talking about versatility, the channel switching, gain boost, channel combining (parallel), tremolo, reverb Duende wins hands down. It sounds great at super low volumes too. I'd like to own both someday, but for now my first pick would be the Duende. I own a Shiva EL34 1x12. The Duende is different being a 6V6 (15 watt) or 6L6 (30 watt) amp. The gain of the Duende is thicker with more sag. It sounds beautiful. I will use it in lower volume situations instead of my Shiva. It's half the weight too.