Low wattage amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marco78, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Marco78

Marco78 Member

Hi boys, I have to buy a new amp. I play only at home and I like play blues-rock '70: Clapton, Hendrix, Santana, Led Zep, etc etc.

I prefer a combo instead a head and cabinets. In the past I had a Fender BJ, Hod Rod, H&K Tube anniversary, Laney LC 15..

My choice is:

Laney VC-15
    Laney Lionheart 5 or 20 W (head)
    Fender Super Champ XD

I prefer amp with 2 channel, because I don't use any pedal.

Each of the previous amp have pros and cons

Laney VC 15 is cheap, but i have hear a lot of failures with this cheap Laney.

Lionheart is the first choice but the price is high and in Italy is really difficult find it in used condition.

Fender is hybrid amp with solid state pre and I am not convinced...

Any suggestion?

2. JColtrane

JColtrane Member

I just built a 5e3 from mojo music. The kit was about $650 + shipping, and was easy to build .... did it in a weekend (actually this was my first build). Anyways sounds AMAZING, and at only 15-watts it has some kick! It would totally fit the guitar style you mentioned above .... just a thought :cheers

3. Marco78

Marco78 Member

I don't know build the kit and so I'd pay someone to assembly it, and between shipping from USA (I think 150-200 €) and italian custom (24%) the kit cost me too much.

4. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

Egnater Tweaker, Vox AC4TV, or Marshall Class 5

5. Marco78

Marco78 Member

The first in Italy don't exist... the other two are 1 channel and don't prefer it.

6. Boytbpc

Boytbpc Member

http://www.youtube.com/v/pWdd6_ZxX8c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWdd6_ZxX8c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I say you should master your guitars volume knob or add an OD pedal and get with the program, but thats like my opinion man.

7. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

I am in a similar situation but I also like to play jazz, everything at low volume. I use a Lil Dawg champ clone with a negative feedback switch. The amp is run through an Alessandro Muzzle. For rock I can get a lot of versatility from the guitar volume.

I have never found a two channel amp that I liked and usually use two amps at gigs.

8. hooch1

hooch1 Member

Try a SCXD. It does have a DSP and solid state preamp before the 12ax7 PI but it sounds very tubish and has a lot of variety. Perfect if you are just looking for a grab and go solution with no pedals.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Blackstar Studio 20 is a fantastic sounding amp.

10. Masta

Masta Member

Hi Marco,
    i've tried the Lionheart at a friend's place and it will surely suits your needs... and it's available here in Italy too :)
    Ciao ciao,
    Masta

11. Masta

Masta Member

Forgot to say that i've tried the 5 watt version... (it can be LOUD)

12. Marco78

Marco78 Member

Masta the Liohearth is my first choice, but i want used amps and now I don't find it.

Ciao :)

13. Cody Anchor

Cody Anchor Member

Victoria 5112 Champ for the win.

14. Marco78

Marco78 Member

My budget is low, Victoria 5112 in Italy cost 1150 €.... :jo

15. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Member

What two-channel amps are offered by the Valve Company of Italy? Ironically, I've been wanting to try out their Bimbo 5-watter, but I can't find that anywhere near me, so I'd have to just buy it and take my chances, which is alwas a nail-biter.
    Steve

16. Unabender

Unabender Member

I owned VC-15 for six months, and it did have problems with input jacks. The construction of these amps is not very good and Laney certainly did cut a lot of corners, IMHO. It did sound pretty good for the money, though. With a treble booster it sounded actually very good. But I would not recommend nor would I trust one, if you plan gigging with it.

In addition VC-15 is fixed biased, which means changing the power tubes is not that easy as you have to (well, should) remove the chassis and rebias the amplifier. There's a trimmer for that but no marked bias points for measurement.

EDIT: Do note that 15 watts is VERY LOUD actually. The VC-15 sounded good only after I cranked it and then it was WAY too loud for an apartment. Currently I used a DIY 1 watt amp and even that is too loud.