Low Wattage Amps: What do you guys dig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skhan007, Aug 17, 2008.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I just played a used Top Hat CR and was very impressed at how full and fat it sounded, given it's an EL84 amp. The tone controls perplexed me a bit because when you adjust treble, the bass backs off. I've never toyed with interactive tone controls, so that was a new one for me, but the amp was cool.

Plus, I've been REALLY intrigued with the Straub Twisted Triode and wish I could play one in-person. The YouTube clips are OK, but I need to hear if it chimes like Keith and sizzles like Eddie. I suspect it does, but I have no frame of reference for those tubes in the power amp section. This amp has piqued my curiosity like no other...

Any way, what do you guys dig and why?

2. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

My Anderson with 6v6s installed. :)

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Not sure exactly where low-wattage falls but my Swart AST-PRO is working for me right now. I believe 18 watts with 6V6s, 22 watts with 6L6s.

4. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

Cornford Hurricane,
    Really fat and juicy tone dripping with harmonics it's just insane how good this amp sounds for fat lead tones, not the best rhythm or clean sound but if your a blues man this is a god send.

Marshall 2061x,
    I really dig this little Marshall it's well built and really rocks for the cash, great when it dimed really hits that Marshall sweet spot on the power tubes at a reasonable level.

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue,
    Big fat clean tones, great basis for a low wattage pedal tone. But also this little bugger sounds awesome when you get some power to those tubes. I'd suggest removing the bright cap and changing the to speaker to a G12H30.

Laney LC15R
    Don't care what anyone says for the cash this thing is a little monster and takes pedals extremely well, aparently the build quality is a bit off but I never had a problem with mine and I bought it 4 years ago.

Orange Tiny Terror
    Cheap as chips and gives that signature orange tone at low volumes,
    cannot argue about this amp it's not a tone machine like say a budda 18,
    but it's really got something happening for that price and ******** is it portable.

Matamp MiniMat Mk1
    Imagine if the Tiny Terror was built well and had improved tone,
    this is it i've only really used one of these at a guitar show demoing pickups yet it was one of the best small amp tones i've ever experienced.

Hiwatt Custom 20
    FAT sounding amp, thats the only word for it i've only tried the combo version but I was seriously impressed, I worked for the owner of Hiwatt and got a lot of time to spend with this amp it's a great amp.

JMI 15
    Quite liked this amp when you opened it up but it really does take some hammering to get a drive tone, nice amp though.

Martamp V6-20
    Not actually tried this amp yet but the specs look appealing and im about to order one, worth a look at www.martamp.com

5. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

Swart AST......used it at a gig last night....hadn't played it out yet (we don't mike the amps, normally use a Carr Hammerhead)....well, will be playing it out all the time!!! Sounded great, with plenty of volume. Very sweet sounding amp.

6. Mudder

Mudder Member

I have two small amps that I really dig...

Gibson GA-5
    Ampeg J20

Both have distinctive vibes, the little Gibson can scream if you want, the Ampeg nails the old surf tones and takes pedals like a madman.

7. DamianP

DamianP Member

I haven`t even considered another amp for almost 4 years. Then I played one of these.

Audio Kitchen Amps, Little Chopper.

Now I have to sell things.

http://www.audiokitchen.co.uk/

I`ve played both the 7w and the 15/30w. Both are utterly engaging and useful musical devices.

Damian.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

My fav right now is a 62 brown Deluxe but I also dig my 1960 Ampeg Jet and my custom built Mission Amps V Front Super is simply amazing!

9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

10. Schtomp

Schtomp Member

[​IMG]

Dirty 5W Top Boost

11. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    My 18 watt Heatseeker (www.mackamps.com) sounds really rich and full. Very simple design and straightforward (similar to the 1974x).

12. frank62

frank62 Member

I like my meager little Blues Junior. The 1974X is the one I like best.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had access to a Gries 5 for a couple weeks a few years ago, great amp! It's a little tone monster and 5 watts can surprise you in the volume dept.

At home I use this...

[​IMG]

15 watts of tonal bliss.

14. Option

Option Member

Richter 5e3: Love it because it's simple and sounds great from clean (a huge edgy clean) to ratty and always seems to encourage me to come up with cool stuff on it

Tophat Supreme Sixteen: This one not so clean (at least not with any kind of volume behind it) but the dirt is just amazing. Great classic rock amp, tight distortion at a manageable volume level.

15. sidneymg

sidneymg Member

Fender Champ II. 18watts, 6v6's and full of tone.

16. DamianP

DamianP Member

It looks very cool.
    I must ask. What the devil is it and did you make it? If you did then well done!

Damian.

17. m1911

m1911 Member

Mini-Z and Victoria Tweed Champ

18. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Headstrong Little King - 1X12, a PTP 64 Princeton Reverb clone that is a stunner - turn it up between 6 and 10 and it will hang with a drummer who knows dynamics - @ 32 lbs. an amazing grab 'n go that one, or on the heavier end of the scale (pushing 50 lbs) the Victoria Regal 2 - 1X15, while not as light as the Little King, with the ability to run it with just one 6V6 up to 2 EL34's (install ones or two's (even mix'n match! I like 1-6V6 & 1 6L6) of most anything else) it will cover most any sized room you run into, I've read some guys even change out power tubes between sets, depending on what the set list will call for - lush reverb & Brown era Vibrato makes the Regal 2 a great club amp.

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

2061X is a nice one! I like the Matchless Lightning also.

20. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have the following smaller amplifiers that I like:

Early 50s Gibson GA-20
    1966 Gretsch Compact Tremolo
    1966 Fender Princeton
    ValveTrain 205
    Crate Palomino 8