low wattage amps with great tone?

sabbath90

hey guys. i'm looking for suggestions on amps with around 18 watts that deliver with good tone. i'm looking at a fargen mini-plex head with an avatar 2x12. does anyone have any other suggestions?

jTreu

60's or early 70's Fender Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb (22 watts through 6v6's) Or Princeton (i think 12-14 watts?)

celestion101

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Bad Cat Cub (head with various cabs), Matchless Lightning (2x10 combo), and the Dr.Z Maz Jr. (2x12) .

Sonic Reducer

Forget about the mini plex. If you're looking in that price range, I'd go for a DST Marwatt. It's 18 watts. Ask spikeri about his.

jokerjkny

Originally posted by sabbath90
hey guys. i'm looking for suggestions on amps with around 18 watts that deliver with good tone. i'm looking at a fargen mini-plex head with an avatar 2x12. does anyone have any other suggestions?
good clean tone? fender tone? voxy tone? i'm guessing marshally tone.

what sort of sound are you looking for? how much do you want to spend?

i love these "mind reader" posts. :p

onemind

Originally posted by sabbath90
hey guys. i'm looking for suggestions on amps with around 18 watts that deliver with good tone. i'm looking at a fargen mini-plex head
I think the mini-plex is a great choice, but it's not close to eighteen watts, and not nearly as loud as many of the eighteen watters I've played. It's between eight/twelve watts depending on if you use low/high power mode.

Steve

lchender

Supporting Member
Another vote for 60s/70s fender Princetons. Put a nice distortion pedal in front and you're ready to rock! Wonderfully full sounding amp and doesn't need to be cranked to sound good.

MuseCafeChris

Valvetech. A Fender Deluxe on steroids.

I recently bought a Mini-Plex and I love it through the RIGHT cabinet. It's very picky about what's it paired up with. Loves pedals though. To me, when it's dimed it's at the perfect non-miced level, just above the snare of a hard-hitting drummer. A sound guy might not agree though. My Valvetech is way louder.

spikeRI

as mjpisat said........I'm quite pleased with my Marwatt and think it was quite a upgrade over the MiniPlex. The MP's not a bad amp and will get you a pretty good Marshally tone, but pretty much just one.
The Marwatt is my first true 18 watter and I now know what all the fuss is about. I'm assuming other brands like Aikens, Reinhardt, Mojave, Roccaforte....etc are all in the same boat. If not I do know this Marwatt will nail old Zep, Thinn Lizzy etc to a T and tho fairly low gain, has gobs of it......no pedal needed, but loves them and only gets meaner.
One thing tho.......its still a very loud amp. Not kill kids and small animals like my ol JMP but, I still use a MASS with mine (and I am running a avatar 2x12)
You will not be sorry with this rig and by listening to soundclips the UV6(6V6 18 watter) might even be better...

spikeRI

also as Jokerjkny suggested....guess your thinking Marshall but, if you are thinking Clean that roars with pedals......the Princeton Reverb suggestion was spot on. Got to be one of the greatest amps ever made and I've heard they are the most recorded amp in history. Definately would be my "stuck on a desert island" amp (assuming it had a electricl outlet)

trucks

I would love to give you my impressions of the MiniPlex, but FedEx delivered mine last Sat. with the output transformer ripped from the chassis and hanging by only some of the wires...:mad:

Now I am at the mercy of FedEx claims. I don't want to even think about the posts I have read on that.:(

Trending Topics