low wattage clean amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elegend, Apr 18, 2008.

1. elegend

elegend Member

i'm looking for a nice clean amp to go along with my tiny terror..any suggestions? i'd prefer a head/cab combination..

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 12, 18 or 30.

Swart AST Reverb

VVT Amps Fralin

Gries 5 or 20

Emery Sound Superbaby or Stagebaby.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

4. Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff Member

I see someone recomended a Gries 5. I have one for sale, Blue Tolex, Upgraded Weber Alnico speaker (it was 175.00) 700.00. It's a combo, but it only weighs 31 pounds.

Thanks, Jeff

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

Silver Face Champ set below 7 on the volume pot.

7. brannon

brannon Member

The Suhr 18 watt Badger sounds GREAT clean, and also has lots of gain when needed...

8. stump

stump Member

Genz Benz Black Pearl head with an Avatar open back cab with G12H and V30, Emi Red Fangs, Celestion Blues or Golds. Selectable 8,15 or 30 watts, reverb- sweet clean and dirty tones.

9. pala

pala Member

Dr.Z Carmen Ghia?

10. Jazz guru

Jazz guru Member

THD Univalve with Avatar or THD 2x12 cab

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

Why would you want low wattage if it's used for cleans?

12. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

For blackface Fendery cleans, the Gries 5 is exceptional for its full rich cleans...would be a great complement to the Tiny Terror, I think. The Bruno Cowtipper has an amazing clean sound but it is obviously expensive...the Gries 5 head is quite inexpensive for what it offers, I think.

for more tweedy Fender cleans, the little Swart Space Tone 6v6se is great although is obviously a combo...if the 8" speaker worries you, the newer Space Tone Reverb might be an even better choice...very full sounding at least based on the clips...all the Swart clips are stunning IMHO. The AST also sounds amazing at low volumes and clean.

the new Gries Minnow is another great option for a head and even more reasonably priced--only about $549 and so not much more than the Tiny Terror. I bet it sounds great and would definitely offer a cool complement to the Tiny Terror.

You might wait until the new version of the Swart AST as a head comes out as it will apparently have a master volume...

For Marshally sounds with some Voxy chime, the Badger sounds great clean to my ears...check out Andy Most's clean clip of the Badger at suhrguitars.com.

It obviously depends on how different a sound you want from the Tiny Terror...a Fendery clean will give you something more different than the Badger, but you might just want to stay in that sonic world and that's cool too.

so many options out there and so good luck!

Eric

13. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

How much money you wanting to spend? Louis Electric Tremblelux territory ($2750.)? David Allen makes some great low powered clean toned amps for under $2000. And you can get down around the $1000. mark if you don't mind assembling one of David's kits which make superb amps. Some of the 5E3 tweed Deluxe kits out there (i.e. Mission) are even less, if they have enough headroom for you. The Allens, being loosely based on vintage blackface and brownface Fenders would give you a little more headroom. Lots of great choices. Good luck.

Tom