Low wattage, mini "backline" to cover a lot of ground

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

My Gries 5 is on it's way (hopefully it will be here tomorrow) and I'm stoked. If it's half as good as they say, I should have some great Blackface 6v6 cleans and maybe even some nastier tweed with the gain cranked and the MV set correctly. As I was doing my research for a killer small wattage amp that could do a lot, the YouTube demo of the Fargen miniplex mark II head really caught my eye. So much so, I almost passed on the Gries 5. But, I know in my heart of hearts the BF clean is the most important place to start for me.
    I'm buying my buddy's old Marshall 1965b 4x10 (actually, it used to be MINE :roll) because I want to have more options for different voiced amps (cheaper in head form) in the near future. So, would something like the miniplex II fill a void (old Marshall rock n roll? Maybe even vox-like?). I was thinking either the miniplex, Tiny Terror or possibly that new Egnator Rebel would sound pretty sick through the 4 x 10 and would be an amazing compliment to the Gries. Are those one trick ponies? It seemed to me watching the demo's of the miniplex II that they were pulling out some nice cleans, some cleans "with hair" that sounded awesome and then they were able to dial in more hard rock and heavier gain as well.
    This is all imaginary right now of course, I have NO funds to play with... yet. :D

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I thought the Mini Plex Mk2 had stellar cleans, much better than I expected from a Marshall style amp. My favorite clean tone is a loud Blackface, but the Mini had it's own style of cleans. I think the cathode bias had something to do with the great cleans. My Mini is currently being made Mighty, just for more clean headroom. Otherwise the 12 Watts is definitely loud.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I see you have the Blackbird 30 as well... so that covers your BF needs and the miniplex II does your Marshall thing? What do you mean by "making it mighty"?

4. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

The Mighty Plex Mk2 is just a Mini Plex Mk2 with a push pull output to get 0-45 Watts. I had mine converted to that for more headroom. It's still cathode biased though, so you can swap different tube types (in pairs.)

I can't wait, gonna have to order up some KT66s and KT77s for experimentation!

Oh plus it's still power scaled, that's why I said 0-45 Watts. Ben Fargen said I am one of the first two to have the next generation Mighty Plex.

5. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Congrats on the Gries 5!!!! I am very confident that you will love the blackface cleans and the tweedy od sounds...I am glad to hear you will be trying the Gries 5.

I have the Miniplex II and the Tiny Terror and either one would complement the Gries nicely. The Miniplex is much more versatile with the tube-swapping possibilities, VOS switch, power scaling and half-power switch. I would definitely think about the Miniplex II at some point if you want something Marshally. The decades switch is amazing and really gives you three distinct voicings for the amp. The Tiny Terror is also a cool amp and I really like its gainy sounds. The cleans are pretty good as well but this amp seems to shine in the breakup and od sounds.

The Egnator Rebel sounds cool with the ability to run either 6v6 or EL84s...priced close to the Tiny Terror, it is clearly supposed to provide some competition there...I haven't heard one in person and so I have no idea how it will really compare to the Tiny Terror.

Enjoy the Gries 5!!!! Post a review of it soon so we can hear whether it lived up to your expectations...

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Don't rule out a CARR MERCURY. Fendery cleans and Marshally crunch in one low watt box. The reverb is fantastic and its a real pedal killer.