Low wattage plexi sound home recording amp opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jeff Hitman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

Currently considering the Cornell Plexi 7 for home recording w/Plexi type tones.

Don't need headroom or cleans
    Doesn't need to play well with pedals
    Must have THAT rock tone

Budget up to $1,200 or so.

Any other amps in this range that meet my criteria?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  3. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

The Reeves certainly has the build quality, but I'm put off by the flatulent sound of that video right at the beginning when he's hammering the low E. There's a nastiness to it that sounds off to me.

4. woof*

woof* Member

Pick one, low wattage or plexi sound.

aynirar27 and big mike like this.
  5. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Ceriatone 20w Lead and Bass clone

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  6. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  7. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

I should have probably gone into more detail.

Here's what I mainly use at the moment.

Blockhead Firstborn 2x12 w/Celestion Blues and Ho attenuator.
    Or Tone King Swamp King with attenuator.

I'm thinking a smaller amp, made to sound good at lower volumes may deliver better at doing so.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Suhr Reactive Load and any big boy (50w +) plexi or similar. :)

big mike, Bluesful and fiveightandten like this.
  9. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Member

3 very different choices:

1. Marshall 50th Annie JMP1h...1 watt of JMP goodness. Absolutely nails the 70s JMP tone at a nice volume. Perfect for recording. I use mine with a 1x10, 1x12, or a 2x10. Also cool to gig live with a Badcat Unleash reamp up to 100 Watts.

2. Mesa TA15—the Hi1 mode in 5 watt power is a glorious Marshall tone....does JTM to JCM....as a bonus, it also does Vox, Fender, and Mesa tones at 5, 15 and 25 Watts.

3. 5f1 Tweed Champ clone..I use a Lil Dawg Champster with a 1x12 baffle. Crank a treble booster or a Klone in front to tighten things up and you have a righteous sounding 70s Marshall-like tone...think early ZZ Top. Greg Martin of the KY Heads told me he makes a tweed Champ sound like a Marshall stack by using 2 mics...one on the cone and a room mic a bit farther away.He told me Billy Gibbons does that too. We know Joe Perry is a fan of these and Both Felder and Walsh used tweed Champs and Deluxes all over the Hotel California album.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  10. BSOD

BSOD Supporting Member

Own a Cornell Plexi 7. You won’t be disappointed. Unreal amp. Never selling, and I had the 1 watt Marshall and sold it (50th JTM)

Jeff Hitman and illinimax like this.
  11. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

This, with an attenuator. Also the Ceriatone 2202, with 4 ways to control volume and gain. I got both lately and I’ve been in toan hevvun all summer.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  12. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Sort of. An 100w amp will take a lot more attenuation than a 7w to get to a low volume. And the more you use attenuation the more it affects the tone/feel of the amp.

I usually like to use an attenuator to shave off a few dB's off the top at the most. More than that it feels unnatural unless you're using a load+power amp set up like the Fryette PS2.

So I still take wattage into consideration even with the attenuator.

13. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

High powered Plexi of your choosing + reactive load + cab IR plug in.

That will easily slay any little amp you buy (and still have to attenuate) to get a Plexi sound.

I’d recommend a used Plexi clone of your choice + Suhr reactive load + Two Note Wall of sound.

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  14. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Just remember that getting a big Plexi amp and then running it hot through a load will cost a lot in tubes.

A smaller amp might be a lot more economical in this role.

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  15. Sterling#Sound

Sterling#Sound Member

I've been using a Marshall Class 5 head with so-called Caldwell mods + London Power Scaling for a while now (very easy mods for a pro). I love playing it and I also have a 67 and 72 Super Lead. The Caldwell mods got rid of some of the tubbiness and made the tone controls easier to use. The power scaling means I can play it at bedroom level or loudly, with a lot of headroom. It was maybe 500 USD for the 2nd hand amp + mods.

aynirar27 likes this.
  16. Serenity

Serenity Member

Marshall 1 watt amps are well worth checking out if you can find them

gretschplayer and MAD 69 like this.
  17. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

I'm really leaning toward that Cornell Plexi 7

BSOD likes this.
  18. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Don't be so quick to write off the Reeves Custom 12 PS. Full disclaimer is that I own one of those and the Power Scale option makes this an extremely versatile amp. At full power, it has more than enough volume for a small club gig, and at lower settings via the PS option, it can be a great recording amp by offering that great power tube distortion and dynamics at significantly lower volumes.

I also have the Reeves HG Custom 10 which is a single EL-34 power tube for a total of 10-watts output. It is a great EL-34 tone and, even, at lower volumes would make a great recording amp.

19. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

Rick, I think it sounds amazing in that video, with the exception of that almost ring mod nastiness when he's hammering the low E. I don't know what that's from, and it scares me. It happens during the intro and again throughout the video. Take a look and see if you hear what I'm hearing.

20. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I like Greg V's demos and I think he is an excellent player. But, like most demos, there is not enough time to explore the full potential of the amps and how flexible it is to adapt to the owners playing technique, guitars, and tone preferences. The bass can be tamed by just turning it down. Manipulating the Power Scaling, Drive, and Volume also make a noticeable difference in tone.

I listened to Greg's Reeves HG 10 demo and wasn't particularly enamored with his tone, mainly because he was using a lot of gain. But, I could hear those tones I wanted so I purchased one. It turned out to be one of my favorite low-watt amps. It can get a lot of distortion and saturation, but, that can be controlled by using the drive control for a more classic Marshall-type tone. It will even make a decent pushed clean tone.

Jeff Hitman likes this.