Low wattage plexi sound home recording amp opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jeff Hitman, Jul 29, 2018.

1. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

50 watt 1987 circuit with a PPIMV and maybe a power station (I want one of these at some point).

woof* likes this.
  2. Serenity

Serenity Member

Did anyone mention this yet? Very spendy, but sounds great and has in built attenuation.

3. cnardone

cnardone Member

That Block head kicks ass. For home recording go with the Suhr and continue to use the Blockhead.

Jeff Hitman and teveinsene like this.
  4. pageburst

pageburst Member

The Carr Merc V is a great option but double the OPs budget. These might be a bit over budget and the Reinhardt can only be found used but i would look at a second hand Reinhardt 18 or Fargen Miniplex. Cornel makes some great Plexi amps but I've never been happy with a sub 10 watt amp for Plexi tones as they lack girth and touch dynamics

5. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I'll second the recommendation of a Marshall Anniversary JMP1h. Tough to find because they were limited production, but awesome Plexi tone in small wattage. Actually, sometimes it's hard to think of it as a 1-watt amp. It gets pretty loud in the 1-watt setting. But there is also the 0.1 watt setting when you want even less volume. I've had mine for a few years now, and would never sell it. It's my go-to amp for practicing and recording.

Jakeboy likes this.
  6. Thilo278

Thilo278 Member

If only for home use I suggest the Fryette GP/Di. IMO totally fits the bill as it is very versatile and does a great Plexi rock tone.
    Also: no need for an additional reactive load to use with IRs (sounds better than built in cab sim) as this is already built in.

7. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

After doing some research on the whole load box>IR this could be a good solution

8. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Member

I want to thank everyone for their replies here, very cool. I decided to stick with my Blockhead Firstborn and buy a 16ohm Two Notes Captor. It arrives today, I'll try it out with their WOS plugin + speaker IR's. This amp sounds too good to compromise.

amphog likes this.
  9. mule train

mule train Gold Supporting Member

My suggestion would have been to ditch the blues and get some 20 or 25 watt greenies.

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  10. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson

Ya, that sounds great.

Jeff Hitman likes this.
  11. naveed211

naveed211 Member

If you’re just going to be recording with it and not playing out, I can’t recommend Scuffham SGear enough. $129 and sounds great for that application, made by the guy who did the JMP-1 preamp.

A head and reactive load would be sweet, if money is no object I’d try that route for sure, but I can’t imagine a better value for direct recording than SGear.