Low-wind pickups for a pokey sounding 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Defendant, May 10, 2015.

1. Defendant

Defendant Member

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Memphis dot 335 that is very strong in the mids and a bit raspy in the high end. Sounds great unplugged, and practically plays itself, but I want to even out the plugged tone a bit.

I've adjusted the pickup height already, and dropped in a Dimarzio 36th in the bridge (small improvement).

I'll be looking into the electronics, and will probably go with 50s wiring to help with the rasp. But right now I'm looking at low output pickups to drop the midrange. Lollar imperial low winds are a common choice, and I'm leaning toward those.

Another option for a less mid-heavy pickup are the Dimarzio air classics.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried both in a 335, and other options as well.

thanks!

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

I'm attempting to pick up a set of '70s Guild HB-1's right now from a acquaintance of a Friend, problem is these pups have gone thru the roof price wise, what used to be $200. tops a set 5-6 years ago are now $400.-$450. a set,...and folks are paying it!!! (LOL...which has made me back off, and look for another option).

I have had several 335's, and my all time favorite was my '82 burst with Tim Shaw pups in it (great pups for Semi-Hollows, not so much for solid bodies), and a Luthier I deal with/know is pushing a set from Lindy Fralin (forgot which 'model' right now).

I'm looking for a different set for my Yamaha SA-1100 (Yami's exacting answer to a 335 DOT to a 'T'). If I didn't like the 'Bones' of this guitar so much, I'd let it go,...But this guitar has the 'it' and worth the investment. Tom

3. 71strat

71strat Member

Throbak SLE-101 MXV specs.: Neck 7.6K Bridge 8.1K Alnico II

Fralin

Tom Holmes but you don't want to want a year or more. They are my favorites. But the Throbak are probably the closest on paper. I also like a reverse neck magnet and 50s wiring. 500K pots and .015 x .022 caps.

4. Defendant

Defendant Member

Thanks!

5. RJLII

RJLII Member

Good comparo here:

I prefer the Lollars, but that's just me.

6. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Guild HB-1's will not fit in a Gibson without routing. Great pickups, though.

7. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

Yeah, what he said. The Pots and cap values make a huge difference. I have lollars in one of my 335's they are nice. but I have come to find that like constructed pickups (mag type, wire type, wound count) pretty much makes things a wash. T

here are differences but nothing like changing the pots and caps from the 350k stuff they use...

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

send wolfe at wolfetone an email. he has made several sets for me and can wind very specific to your needs. he always has great suggestions and really knows what he is doing. prices are right on and wait time is usually very short.

9. dead of night

dead of night Member

May I ask why you prefer the Lollars? The reason I ask is I am trying to decide for myself between the two.

10. RJLII

RJLII Member

I just preferred the way they sounded. I listened to the clip while I was looking at another web page, "blind" if you will. There were very subtle differences between the two. When I heard something I liked I would switch back to the clip and check which pickups were in use. It was the Lollars every time. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Both companies make fine products and I'm sure you would be making a good choice either way.

11. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Peter Florence voodoo '59's are very good, WCR Crossroad neck and Darkburst Bridge combo set is also very good, Even Gibson Classic 57 neck/57+ bridge will sound very good in that guitar - Lollers mentioned above also get a ton of praise. With most all of these low wind PAF style pickups you'll get even articulation low to hi - I have the Florence set in my ES335. had the others I mentioned as well, but settled on the Florence set - the others I mentioned ended up in my R9 or Epi Sheraton II. I felt that the Voodo 59's came closest in my 335, to me anyway, in sounding like the P90's that the humbucker was designed to replace. Good Hunting

12. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

This.

13. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I've got a set of Throbak Pre-T's incoming. If this thread is still going by the time they arrive (and if anyone cares) I'll let you know what my initial impressions are. They are (or appear to be) more intended for 335s than other Throbak sets (and they're quite a bit cheaper too, which is nice).

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

Yes, low winds in a 335 sound very good. My favorite PAF type humbuckers are OX4's. I got an underwound set recently and they are amazing.

Wolftone also makes very good humbuckers and they are a bit cheaper. He will also rewind them for free if you don't like the tone in your particular guitar.

15. Defendant

Defendant Member

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Anyone with anything to say about the Air Classics?

16. Defendant

Defendant Member

My swap of the bridge 57 classic for the 36th bears this out. Minimal change.

17. dead of night

dead of night Member

I wonder if anyone else could watch the Lollar vs. Throbak video clip embedded in this thread and share your opinions?

18. Defendant

Defendant Member

My preference would be the Throbak neck and the Lollar bridge.

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

The video is not about low winds, unless I'm missing something. Which is fine, just mentioning that because the OP asked about low winds.

I didn't hear a lot of difference in the neck pickups, but when he switched to both, and then bridge alone, they seemed different. The Throbaks sounded, I don't know, maybe clearer, a little less muddy or something, I'm not good at describing tone. Based on that I liked the Throbaks a little better.

One thing I find, for myself, when I do A/B comparisons is that while I can hear differences, deciding which one I like better can be really difficult to impossible!

20. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I've seen the video. I tend to prefer thinner, brighter sounds so I preferred the Lollars.