Lowball offers buying/selling gear

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dspiffy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I've gotten it on the three Gretsches I've sold!

2. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

A much bigger pandemic for sure!

3. tacorivers

tacorivers Member

I don't care about low ball offers. Hell, I've desperately accepted some!

I do have to laugh at those buyers who lose out on a discounted item just to save $50. I can think of three of my buyers who lost out because they wanted to low ball. Items went to a customer paying the listed price.

4. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Silver Supporting Member

I mean ok - I was playing along with your question in good faith. I guess you really showed me.

But yeah, if I got a 125 offer on 150 I wouldn't look at that as a lowball. That's pretty reasonable. If you don't have the skin to take that offer without feeling salty than you should have a firm price.

However, I have declined an offer that was similar to that and had buyers act indignant as if I had no right to decline their offer. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread my response is just "I'll keep it."

The only thing that changes that is if I desperately need the money.

Dusty Offski likes this.
  5. Sethian

Sethian Member

Accept, decline or make a counter offer (or just ignore it). It's that easy. No need to be all whiny about it. The feelings of the seller aren't the concern of the buyer.

6. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

These are super-insulting. I usually mutter, "the guy's on crack", and don't bother to respond. But, sometimes, I submit a lowball offer, just to get under their skin.

7. JK47

JK47 Member

Guitar Center will give you 60%.

That's 60% of the ACTUAL retail value, of course, not 60% of the highest dollar amount a similar item sold for in the last 6 years ;)

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  8. 6AM

6AM Member

People who will offer you $1000 for a vintage Marshall plexi are a-holes, but the overwhelming problem is a lot of sellers are horrible at selling. They don't know what the current value of what they're selling is and most don't care. They know what they paid for it, which has nothing to do with me. I don't care if you paid $X three months ago. Your used thing is worth $Y. Even when you tell them what it's worth, they're unwilling to listen to reason.

Secondly, they don't know their audience. If you've listed something on Reverb and it sits longer than a week or two, you're asking too much. If you're listing something on Craigslist and not online, you should be asking for 10 to 20% less than it sells for on Reverb or eBay. The reason is multi-fold. You have a smaller market. You're don't need to pay Paypal costs. You don't need to pay sellers costs. You don't need to deal with shipping it. If you're selling online, but not on eBay or Reverb, you should ask at least 5% to 10% less than what it sells for on eBay or Reverb since there's no fees.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    zryder, dirk_benedict and JK47 like this.
  9. JK47

JK47 Member

Rules 1A and 1B from "how to sell your used things"

Pixies2005 and Tiny Montgomery like this.
  10. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

This lowball offer thread made me think of an old SNL skit called Guy Talk where Michael Jackson (played by Eddie Murphy) says...

“9 times out of 10 I get my face slapped, but that 10th time...it’s magic.”

Pixies2005, downburst82 and JK47 like this.
  11. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

In fact, that is the first and fundamental rule of capitalism.

Pixies2005 and JK47 like this.
  12. PvtKingpin

PvtKingpin Member

Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
    - new €400
    - I see an ad asking €285, I offer €220, met in the middle at €250+shipping
    Happy times!

RYAN1987M, Pixies2005 and middy like this.
  13. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard Member

A lowball offer is like "spicy food" or "cold weather". Everyone has their own idea of what it is but individuals will have their own definition.

I don't particularly appreciate the guy fishing by offering me $1000 for my 2013 R8 but I don't get indignant, I just ignore it and wait for more reasonable offers to be made to start a negotiation.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Spooky Action likes this.
  14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

And the beautiful thing is you aren’t forced to sell at a price the government sets. You can decline the offer and not be prosecuted. Yay capitalism!

quilsaw and JK47 like this.
  15. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

There’s also the “it sells new for $____, so you’d be saving $____” guys.

No, that’s not how it works. It’s apples and oranges. If I bought a new one, with full warranty and original packaging, for that price, I would be saving that amount.

Either making use of the word “firm” or not giving the option of making an offer would cure most of the sellers’ complaints, in these matters. Sure, there are a few jackasses who will still try to offer less, but they can be easily ignored.

Pixies2005 and JK47 like this.
  16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yeah this is it right here, pretty much. ^

Lowball offers are little more than someone who is not desperate to buy checking to see if you're desperate to sell...like a prospector swinging his pickaxe and listening for the 'clink' of gold.

Should I decide to sell something, I don't care how long something needs to sit while I wait for the right buyer who will pay my price. I'm not going to give it away. It's not like I'm selling a house and the calendar is forcing my hand.

zryder likes this.
  17. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

you do know on Reverb you can set it to auto reject such low offers? you won't even SEE them

18. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

I'm willing to admit being a jackass... there's been a FEW occasions where a seller said "no offers' "firm price" etc. where I made an offer below their asking and it WAS accepted.

in every case, though I supported my reason with links etc. showing why their price was too high

one guitar I checked was up on Reverb for 6 months. if the guitar hasn't sold in 6 months, it's either too high an ask or it's just an extremely niche guitar that very few people would be interested in.

I once made an offer on one of those "firm" sales and was POLITE about it and said I'd be around if he changed his mind.

TWO MONTHS later he recontacted me and said he was interested and I bought it!

But I think this is an area to tread lightly on, be respectful and use common sense. How long has the sale been up? is the price way too high? etc.

dspiffy likes this.
  19. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone listing anything for sale should expect offers. Using the word "firm" is just asking for an offer...

JK47 likes this.
  20. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I priced a KoT for WAY more than I thought I'd ever got once. The guy sent me an offer lower than my asking price but quite a bit higher than I was aiming for. It's pretty much the only time I recall making money. Life is short and I usually price things to move. Who wants to waste all kinds of time over a 5-10 dollar difference?

JK47, lowinchi, Ron and 1 other person like this.