Lowballing: Do you think it ever works?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bigfoamfinger, May 19, 2019.

If you made 500 lowball offers (40-50% below market value), would any of them be accepted?

1. Yes

65.4%
  2. No

34.6%
  1. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

To be honest with buyers like that I actually stopped even sending a counter offer. Its a waste of time and effort when you have real buyers out there who will pay the correct price or make a legitimate offer.

data_null and Gasp100 like this.
  2. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

After looking at the results,I now understand why I get low balled so much.
    I'll throw my gear in the trash before I take a low ball price on it . If you want to play then pony up and pay for your gear like the rest of us

wgs1230 likes this.
  3. Exodus5

Exodus5 Supporting Member

As a seller I deal with this quite a bit. Recently had a 50% offer on a like new Mesa head. I was polite and just declined. Then there's the opposite. Someone selling a guitar that should go for $1200, but they've listed it at $1500. I offer the $1200 and they counter with some smart ass comment and $1475. I think the low ballers and hard bargainers are both using the anonymity of the internet to display the worst traits of buyers and sellers.

But, now that I think about it...they do it in person too. I had a 1992 PRS CE24 in great shape. I had $1050 in it so I listed for $1250 (always 15-20% more than I expect to get) and a guy locally bought it for $1050. He played it and talked about how this was the right guitar for him..he loved the sound, etc....Really made out like this was the guitar he has been looking for and it was going to be his #1. Two days later it is on Facebook and Reverb for $1500. It isn't selling and won't, but lots of guys have watched too many episodes of "American Pickers" and think they are wheeler dealers.

4. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

People around here act if there is not such thing as automatic decline for bids.

Here is a real life scenario you can look up on Reverb right now:

Gibson Non-Reverse Custom Shop TV White's are on sale right now for an average of $2,700.00

Historic pricing sales have them at $1,600.00 - $1,800.00

So if I offered $1,800.00 would I be low balling them?

derekd likes this.
  5. Toosday

Toosday Member

The better survey question would of been if you could get and early 60s strat worth about 30k for 15k but it had to be today, would you sell 30 Gibson Les Paul's (worth 1500) at 500 per to get it.

My point is you can be both a low baller and a low ballee. The bottom line is we never know why someone is selling or buying.

6. data_null

data_null Member

Exactly. In all the years I've been selling gear (online or in my shop) I can't recall any instances where an extreme lowballer turned out to be a legitimate buyer (i.e. someone willing to pay anywhere in the realm of actual market value). Like you said, it's best to ignore them and move on to the real customers.

Alter and wgs1230 like this.
  7. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Amen brother

data_null likes this.
  8. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

I may be the king of lowballing. ;)

If something's been for sale for a while and hasn't had any traction on it, you BET I'm gonna offer something stupidly low for it. At worst, I offend the seller and they say NO and I move on. But more often than not, it opens a dialog and in the end I get a great price. Especially if the seller's tired of seeing it sit and is in the mood to move it along.

I recently "oopsed" into a MIM fender fretless jazz bass by throwing a lowball out and the seller took it straight away. Which made me happy, but also made me wish I'd offered even less!

I don't HAVE to buy your gear. You don't have to sell it to me. But I'm ALWAYS looking for a deal.

Jeffj likes this.
  9. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Agreed.......but I might offer $400, especially if it's been for sale for 6 months.

None at all! Although apparently it would piss off a number of folks in this thread. :rotflmao

Tom Fontaine likes this.
  10. Losov

Losov Member

I don't sell a lot of stuff, but when I do I expect to get lowballed. If I were to offer a '59 Les Paul for a dollar I just know someone will offer 60 cents. I get that.

BUT - don't tell me you're a poor musician and don't have a lot of money. I am not here to subsidize your art. Apply for an NEA grant. That dollar price is firm.

11. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

Meh, I’ve gotten plenty of good deals by offering low, and I’ve sold plenty of stuff to lowball offers. It all balances out.

mrface2112 likes this.
  12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I don't mind lowball offers, it only takes a minute to reply 'no thanks'. I do mind the indignant responses that sometimes come after the rejection, cursing me out because they didn't get their way. It also indicates to me that the person doing the lowballing is likely not stable and that no negotiation could be worth the money.

derekd and Toosday like this.
  13. burner

burner Member

There are all kinds out there...
    Many people consider ANY offer below the stated price to be "lowball".
    I dont mind somebody making me an offer on something, situations do change, but i mean....dont bother offering me pawn shop prices when i could just go to the pawn shop. Lol

14. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The new ones are going to cost much more now (in the last couple of years). I would say good luck. Firebirds of all kinds other than the current plain production model are custom shop and retail about 6 or 7 k new (especially if you want a custom color. I got my non reverse Firebird VII for just under 4k. It had rubber burn in marks from a guitar stand on the neck but otherwise mint. It was a great price compared to something similar in a rare color. I wasn't planning on getting a non reverse. I wanted the normal reverse one but the prices for colors and the configuration I wanted were very high.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    mrfett and Imerkat like this.
  15. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

By definition, if an offer is accepted, its not a "low ball", as in an offer that will never be accepted. What's the point of this thread?

Imerkat likes this.
  16. Imerkat

Imerkat Supporting Member

These aren't that much:
    [​IMG]
    https://reverb.com/item/23193586-gibson-firebird-custom-shop-2011-tv-white
    https://reverb.com/item/19546928-gibson-firebird-non-reverse-custom-shop
    https://reverb.com/item/20112497-gibson-custom-shop-firebird-vii-tv-white-2008

I've been watching them over a year and plan to get one in August, God willing. They sell for about 16 to 18 hundred. I've bought 3 guitars this past year half the original asking price waiting for the price to drop. I see this as such a common thing that I wonder if people are offended by low offers, would not just opt out of it in the first place.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  17. data_null

data_null Member

Their curse filled rants crack me up. It's amazing how easily triggered they are.

daacrusher2001 and chrisjw5 like this.
  18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I did see some TV White ones that were around these prices but I was looking for one of the rarer colors plus I wanted the vibrato as I like how it affects the sound (even though I dont use it). Brown ones are cheaper too. There was VII in Heather Poly with a hardtail that was reduced to 2k for a bit.

Imerkat likes this.
  19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I did do somewhat of a lowball on Ebay and I didn't expect it to be approved. Unfortunately I did a few other offers that got approved and I ended up with 5 new guitars in my collection in less than 2 weeks. This guitar was quite expensive when I first thought of adding a Burns to my collection. The case alone with it's special alligator covering would be expensive to buy. They were selling around 4k a few years ago. The seller had it listed for $2000ish. I made an offer of $1500. He accepted it. It's a rare guitar but I have barely played it as prefer the others at the moment. Only 50 were made - all gold with tortoise binding. I think this guy had a store and he has another listed at around 4k. The thing is, Burns, as a brand is famous in the UK but not too many Burns guitars turn up in North America, and people may not be aware of them, so even though the build quality is great and it looks very nice, resale value is probably not going to be great. Not many famous people are associated with the brand.The Shadows was their biggest endorser. Brian May used Burns pickups in his red special, but no other big musicians that I can think of offhand.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't lose money selling it for what it cost me. Shipping was expensive as the seller was in East Europe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrfett, mdubya and daacrusher2001 like this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Member

I just lowballed someone last night. But their asking price was way outside of actual selling price. So I sent what I consider a reasonable offer with regards to real value selling price. I was countered with an offer still outside of actual selling price range. I am not offended by the counter offer.

derekd likes this.