Lowden announce 'Sheeran by Lowden' brand...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by snakestretcher, Jan 24, 2019.

1. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

So Ed Sheeran has got into the guitar building business, and NAMM January will be the official launch.
    Prices are rumoured to be around the £600 for a solid top, laminate back and sides, guitar, so we're verging on territory currently occupied by the likes of the all solid Alvarez Masterworks. Furthermore the 'almost bare' finishes I suspect will be the sort of open pore finishes seen on the Faith Naked range, of which I am not a fan.
    However, scepticism aside, this is an interesting departure for Lowden. Let's hope the quality meets the inevitable hype...I look forward to playing them.
    https://sheeranguitars.com/guitars/the-w-series/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Interesting, whatever your thoughts on him as an artist (I happen to like him) I would never really chase his acoustic tone, which up until now is a baby martin with a martin thinline undersaddle pickup. These can't help but sound better.

MoarGear likes this.
  3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Are they all tiny?

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I suspect they will be parlor size or smaller, Ed plays small guitars.

5. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yes, they are based on the 'Wee Lowden', and the 'S'-series.

MoarGear, Bryan T and EricPeterson like this.
  6. mischultz

mischultz Member

7. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

From clips I’ve heard they sound like toy guitars.

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Not surprising. Again, not a knock on Ed as a artist, but I dont see why I would chase his tone. He started with the mini martin more out of convenience.

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

They usually do through crappy computer speakers. Judging a guitar from a video clip is like judging a person by their appearance. In other words, pointless and unproductive. Play one, then judge.

10. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I've seen a pricelist, they're between £600 and just under £1000 depending on spec. Says made in Ireland on the bumf, which would be pretty awesome. Seems like a great idea.

Not a fan of Ed's music but he seems like a nice dude and I like that he's interested in making (relatively) affordable instruments that are in reach of the average fan. Mind you, they could end up selling to quite a few more than just fans if they're as interesting as they look on paper.

EricPeterson and snakestretcher like this.
  11. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Is he doing anything besides lending his name and notoriety?

12. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Why would he? I can think of any number of guitarists who have signature models who lent their 'name and notoriety' to help sell average guitars for exorbitant prices. What have they done that's any different.

13. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Nothing, apparently.

I was seeking confirmation, given the opening sentence:

One never knows, after all. He could have been slaving away is his basement carving something new and interesting from scratch, some modern day Tom Scholz of acoustic guitar building, or a mild mannered Maynard James Keenan who dove into Wine making like a serious madman.

But it seems it's just a Signature series. That's fine, but much much less interesting.

14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

My guess is they are merely to his spec. I doubt he is doing any labor on them. Maybe some involvement in R&D in terms of trying out stuff until it gives him what he wants.

MoarGear likes this.
  15. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The 'ethos' being touted is that (aside from being a nice little earner), the aim is to encourage kids to pick up a guitar. Apparently there aren't enough guitar-led bands or guitar-playing artists around. While I encourage anyone to pick up an instrument and learn it, I can't say I've seen any lack of guitar players.

16. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Interesting opinion for a forum-ite.

Everyday guitars are ought and sold using audio clips both from individuals and guitar stores. You Tube is crammed with videos just for the purpose of "judging" a guitar. Apparently, they haven't learned it's "pointless and unproductive" to audition a guitar in such a manner, until now.

Save the morality instruction, it's a guitar.

EricPeterson likes this.
  17. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

I will be looking into this model series. I'd like to own a Wee Lowden...this is as close as I'll ever get;)

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

'Morality instruction'? So my personal observation about my experience is a morality issue to you? Are you serious? I think I busted a rib, laughing. But you're welcome to tell me how the guitar you're 'auditioning' feels and sounds in someone else's hands, over an internet connection, compressed, played through unknown interfaces, using someone else's choice of strings and picks...real accurate, right?

19. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

You conveniently forget your connecting “judging” a guitar to judging a person. I have to say it’s hard to have a conversation about comments one makes when one forgets his comments. That’s not very funny.

You also ignore my comments regarding the widespread use of audio clips to sell guitars, and the success they seem to have doing so. You can’t seem to follow the discussion, forgetting what’s said and ignoring the rest, so that makes it impossible to have a dialog with you. It doesn’t go unnoticed by others, I sure you.

20. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I don't like those huge tuners. Looks out of place on the smaller guitar. It needs vintage style butterbeans.

At least if it's not finished, I could put a nitro finish on it myself. No stripping.

That Sheeran brand on the headstock is a definite deal breaker.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019