Lowden

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by soulohio, Sep 25, 2008.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

I found a nice Lowden 12 string. What info on these guitars? i wasn't even looking for a 12 string but picked this up and it plays great and sounds clear as a bell.

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

In particular, this and this thread. There seem to be a lot of Lowden fans on the board, myself included.

3. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

Lowden 12? If ya got the bread, snap it up fast!

I've got a Lowden 6 string (s7c) I picked up on a steal deal...16 years and running, it is my main player acoustic, just phenomenal.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

i believe this Lowden is a Japanese model...it has an off white, rectangular label signed by Lowden. It has an S220 prefix model number...

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

Big believer here. Don't think the Japanese models are among the best. Most likely comes down to the individual guitar.

6. Claytone

Claytone Member

I had a Japanese made Lowden O-10 years ago that was a spectacular guitar. Don't count them out for geographical reasons. As was said, evaluate it in your hands. I now have an Irish O-12 that is great too. Wonderful guitars.

7. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I like my Lowden too...great guitars.

8. royd

royd Member

There were Japanese models that are essentially the same model as the Irish guitars and they are generally well built, used high quality materials, and sound and play like Lowdens. There were others that were a little different - I believe there was a G model that was a different design. I don't know anything about them. An S22... should be an O size mahogany/cedar guitar. Some folk feel nervous about cedar topped 12 strings and Lowden has been intermittent in building them but the few that I've run into were all stable. If the guitar you're looking at is Japanese, as the label indicates, then it was built in the early 80's. If it is in good condition after 20+ years, then I woudn't worry about it.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What he said -- from another proud Lowden owner (in my case of an early '90s, Newtownards produced custom S23 with an Englemann spruce top in place of the usual cedar).