lowdown on new vox AC15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drjoel, Aug 14, 2008.

1. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

just test drove one of the newer white ones at my local GC. sounded great w/ a CIJ tele custom w/ bigsby. so anybody gigging this amp? would appreciate thoughts on reliability, durability also combo vs. head & cab. appreciate all input.

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'm digging mine. I sounds great and even greater for the price. I did the treble cap mod on mine. I run mine with the master volume wide open and set the preamp volume to taste. I usually have my Tim on too. I use mine with a Suhr Classic and as of Satuday, a SG 61 Reissue. It sounds great with both. Haven't got to crank it with the Sg though. Hope this helps you out a little bit.

3. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

What AC15 are we talking about? The Heritage has no MV.

4. guitarpkr67

Wow, I didn't even see the word white in the original post. Obviously I'm talking about the AC15CC1, which has the master volume.

5. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I just tried one out and also thought it sounded way cool. But no reverb, that's a bummer.

6. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I bought a cheap reverb pedal for playing it in the house. Doesn't need a pedal when playing with a band. Sounds great either way. I have a gig in 2 weeks - curious to see if it'll have enough power and headroom. I usually play 30 or 40 watt amps.

7. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I've had one for quite a while and have used it on many club gigs (large and small)...luckily I had a Peavey amp cover that fits it perfectly, which is nice due to it being white...I'm afraid of marking/dinging it all up.

It takes pedals really really well (when the amp is dialed in right to me it just sounds perfect) and it has more power than I've needed for any stage so far (though I tilt it back a bit so it's pointed more towards my chest so I can hear it nicely).

I've had no reliability issues with mine. I've got over 50 nights of gigging into it.
    It's the best small combo amp I've ever used hands down (for the sounds I'm going for...clean, blues, classic rock, hard rock....no metal really) I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    Give me a BB Plus and an analog delay in front and I'm good to go with this amp for almost all styles. I've never had so many compliments on my sound from soundmen and other band members.

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Thought they sounded great and was ready to buy. But two in one store had problems with cutting out and other weird noises. The guys at the store said they had seen that before. Plus the electronics are in a sealed compartment and can overheat easily. If it wasn't for that bad introduction, I would have bought.

9. Dendog

Dendog Member

I've been gigging with one for about a year. Great tone, and for the price, unbelievable. No problems whatsoever. I don't know anything about an overheating issue. With only 4 tubes the amp doesn't get very hot, ever.

Cutting in and out is probably a tube problem. Mine was DOA with similar problems as described here. I threw in new tubes, which are still in it today, and it's run fine ever since.

Master up full, vol, treb, and bass at 12 oclock. That setting covers a lot of ground for me. Reverb is useless but the tremolo is good. Wharfedale needs a couple of months to break in, until then it's a bit edgy but afterwards very nice, although it is almost universally hated on this board.

10. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Good to hear it is working out. There is a good demo somewhere on youtube.

11. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

FWIW: I was looking at the CC1 version of this amp, but HC has an an avalanche of reliability complaints on the new AC15s. The few reviews for the white head (HTVH) and other "HTV" models also slam the reliability. Granted HC reviews aren't exactly the word of God, but either there are an unusual number of trolls for this amp, or something's wrong.

It seems like Vox hit the home run with the new AC30s (and old) but not with the new 15s, and I'd be careful. - just my two cents.

12. fiddlefadel

fiddlefadel Supporting Member

The overheating problem is something that the originals did also. We always took the rear covers off of them and had a fan blowing into the back panel when we were playing out. I have see a few originals (including one of mine) go up in smoke. In fact, my original 1965 TB has the panel off still!

Dave

13. guitarpkr67

I've heard the opposite. I had a friend that had a defective AC30 so he brought it back and the one he got in it's place was also defective. He tried to talk me out of getting the AC15 because of his problems with the AC30s, but I got one anyways. It's holding up fine so far. I've heard most of the problems with the AC15 and AC30 amps have been worked out.

14. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I hope I didn't misspeak about the AC30, and I don't want to hijack this thread either. It seems to me that the 30 gets much better reliability marks than the 15, but I can see they're not exactly spectacular. OTOH, the AC30 CC is more complex than the 15, and it sounds great too, IMO (the CCX).