Lower power Bass-man?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack Dotson, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I love the sound of the Fender Bass-man amps, but only play at home and don't need that kind of power. Anyone know of a lower power alternative?

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Hmmm, could just take a regular old 50 watt Bassman and run it through an attenuator. Weber even makes special connectors for the Bassman reissues so you can use his MASS with them.

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

You could look at the tweed super or ask someone to make you a tweed super with a bassman circuit.

4. Amplite

Amplite Member

Give David Allen at Allen Amps a call!

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I find the Bandmaster to be pretty comparable as a little brother Bassman... breaks up earlier, definately not as loud and not quite as massive sounding... gets the dirt going sooner and has a bit more sag near the end of the volume, but the feel and tone to me (especially with the tweeds) is quite similar to my ears.

_TJK*

6. carltonh

carltonh Member

Valvetech VAC is like a 22 watt Bassman with additional gain available. You already have a DRRI, which isn't that far from a Bassman at low volumes. How different do you want from that?

7. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

I have a tweed Super clone, have played other clones, and the real thing too, and those are still very loud if you want breakup at home levels IMO. Sound different than a bassman too, but they're in that ballpark, kind of.

6L6's and that big output transformer are a big part of a Bassman's sound IMO, and short of an attenuator, those don't really "come in a quieter version"...