Lowish gain MIAB pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TA22GT, Jul 13, 2019.

1. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

I have never really been a Marshall amp fan although I absolutely do love a lot of the great sounds recorded with them!
    I have a Matamp 1224GT and a few low gain overdrives and I get "MY" sound out of the amp but I have a gig coming up later in the year where I will have to play a few Lizzy/Bad Company/ Free songs and although I can approximate that with my amp it doesn't have that "scratchy" Marshall vibe.

It's worth me getting a pedal and I was thinking of the CM low gain Plexitone.......will it do that or any other suggestions would be welcomed. Think "Alright Now" type of tone.

I don't want hi-gain....I have other drives I can boost a low gain pedal with if I need that.
    I'm in the UK so the more common MIAB's would be easier to obtain.
    Many thanks.

2. madisonaudio

madisonaudio Member

Carl Martin makes good stuff. Weehob and Pedalpal FX do too. Just sayin

zenmindbeginner and TA22GT like this.
  3. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Zvex Box of Rock (or Distortron in low gain mode) would be my first suggestion. The JHS Charlie Brown is also a good low gainer!

4. oxtone

oxtone Member

Greer Amps Lightspeed is a lower gain pedal - can be goosed for higher gain with a clean boost pedal if needed.

TA22GT likes this.
  5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

6. woolyh

woolyh Member

Catalinbread DLS Mk.III for Plexi or Zvex Distortron for JTM45.

TA22GT and Flogger59 like this.
  7. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

SL Drive, set to 9 o’clock :D

A Bluesbreaker-style pedal may get you there too

TA22GT likes this.
  8. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Thanks! I can get a Box of Rock over here, I did buy an Angry Charlie at one point but I should have known it would have far too much gain for me. I have a high headroom amp but it was so compressed my sound went very small when I engaged it. I assume the Charlie has much less gain?

Thanks! Will look up the DLS over here.

I have never bought any Amp in a Box pedal so I am clueless. I've always bought a drive to compliment my amp but this is wanting to change the sound totally.

I am appreciating your suggestions!

9. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, the Charlie Brown is a completely different design than the Angry Charlie. It's closer in topology to the Distortron.

The DLS MKIII is quite gainy in Super Lead mode, so if you want low gain you'll have to run it in Super Bass mode (which sounds bloated to me, but YMMV). :)

TA22GT likes this.
  10. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Just found a Box of Rock for sale about 20 miles from me!

Will it give me the Lizzy/Free/ Bad Co. type of rhythm sound......before somebody buys it!!

HeavyCream and coltonius like this.
  11. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Keeley 1962x sounds good no matter where the gain knob is... I love mine around 2 o’clock, but it sounds great below noon too.

Plus it’s got the little toggle for 88 vs 66 tube sound, low vs high gain.

GtrGeorge! and TA22GT like this.
  12. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Box of Rock is pretty bottom heavy, IMO... the ZVex Distortron is similar but let’s you trim back the Bass a bit

AintNoEddie, fred_ and TA22GT like this.
  13. woolyh

woolyh Member

There is a good bit of gain but I think the gain set a little under halfway with the EQ set right would get the desired sounds and it works great stacking with other drives to boost for leads. You can't turn the gain to 0 and get a clean boost like some MIAB pedals but for what we're talking here I think it would do the business. It has a very interesting amp like EQ which is great for dialing in a lot of 70s Marshall tones.

For reference here's PGS Andy playing Alright Now.

I will say when I got mine I thought it was broken due to the lack of gain but it was just shipped in SB mode, which I've never used since :D

coltonius and TA22GT like this.
  14. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I think the Distortron would work for you, but I have also found that a Klone can give you those scratchy tones - Alright Now sounds good through my Archer.

TA22GT likes this.
  15. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

l

Sounds great!!
    However just bought Zvex distrotron locally so will give that a try first. That DLS sounds spot on though!
    Cheers!

woolyh and coltonius like this.
  16. Pazz

Pazz Member

I just picked up the Barber Gain Changer and Direct Drive.

If you set the GC high, or the DD low (in Gain) it should get you there. Of course the GC gets very low gain and thickens up a clean tone and the DD goes into over the top Marshall, but either should get you where you want to be. You decide if you want the one that gets cleaner or the one that gets dirtier.

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

SL Drive sounds impressive in lowish gain. Better than a DLS. The Box of Rock really shines on low gain. The Keeley 1962 was a little harsh with my setup.

TA22GT likes this.
  18. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I'm really in love with my Distortron, the box of rock is cool but I can say that with the Distortron set with the bass switch at 2 (the stock BOR sound) it's a little much for me so I try to keep it at 1.

You mentioned that Paul Kossof Free tone and I'd say it nails it. There are a bunch of other pedals that'll do it, all the ones mentioned here. It'd be really hard for me to give up the Distortron unless I could directly AB it against the Keeley 1962, Charlie Brown, and Rockett 45 caliber.

TA22GT likes this.
  19. Whiplash17

Whiplash17 Member

I came into this thread to post these exact two pedals. The Zvex Distortron does a bit lower gain and is the one on my board today, but both are awesome.

TA22GT likes this.
  20. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member