1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

LP bridge saddles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sharpshooter, Feb 17, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Need some knowledge about Gibson bridges. Have been looking at new/newer LP Customs, and in almost all of the ones that I've seen, it looks as though the saddle for the first string, has only, maybe about 1/32", to maybe 1/16", before bottoming-out against the bridge (towards the pick-up). Is this normal? It seems as though, if the bridge is mounted in the correct location, that you could get correct intonation, with the saddles stil having lots of adjustment range left, (to account for changes in string types/gages. Am I being too picky, or should I try and find one, where the saddles have more adjustment range left.
    Have only looked at CS LP's.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i can't recall having to remove, fill and redrill holes for the posts on a gibson lp bridge due to lack of adjustment range in, oh, ever.

i wouldn't give this a second thought when les paul shopping.

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Thanks for your input. I dont have any experence with LP's, and thought that if I changed string gages, that I might run into intonation problems on the first string. I guess that not much movement is neccessary on the higher pitch strings.

4. ZombieCat

ZombieCat Member

Depending on which way the saddle is facing, you can flip the saddle around in a TOM bridge to get more adjustment. So in your case, if the angled side of the saddle is facing the front of the bridge, flip it around. Here is a crude drawing to help explain.

If the saddle looks like this /| then you can flip it around to this |\ to get more adjustment.

By changing the fulcrum point (not sure if that is the correct phrase for this) can give you a little more adjustment room.