LP clone that equals Gibson LP Traditional for less $

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tylenol Jones, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

They're out of my range. Sure, I could get a Studio but from what I hear, it's a big jump in tone to go to the Traditional.

Wondering if there's a non-Gibson LP clone that rivals the Gibson LP Traditional.

Looking to play Led Zeppelin and BluesBreakers music.

Heard about Edwards and Tokai but nobody mentions if they're equals or if the Gibson is still better tonally and playing-wise.

2. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Get a used Heritage H150, no weight relief, good wood. Some guys have a problem with the headstock (it doesn't say Gibson on it and the shape is different) but if you can live with that, they are excellent.

3. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Get a Tokai. They're great instruments. I don't think there is as big of a jump in tone between a Studio and a Trad as you are expecting.

4. JPF

JPF Member

Mid '80s Greco

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

:aok from the ones I've played and what I've heard from friends of mine who have them, those old Grecos can't be beat.

6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Pre-2007 Studio with different pickups and nobody will be able to tell the difference.

7. obeymydog

obeymydog Member

Some Traditionals/Standards may sound better than some Studios but the reverse is also true - one category is not better than the other in terms of sound or playability. You're paying for cosmetics in the price difference (nicer looking woods, full gloss finish, binding, etc.). I had a Studio that was a tone monster with impeccable fretwork, only sold because the neck carve was fatter than I like.

If you need it to look like a Standard/Traditional for less money then MIJ LPs are a great option - my Elitist LP takes a backseat to nothing I've played tone-wise or in playability (changed pickups to SD Seth Lover in neck and SD Pearly Gates bridge).

Honestly though it's hard to beat the value of a used Studio for classic LP tone and playing feel. Faded studios are available used for $450-$550 all day long, play them until you find one that speaks to you. Leaves enough cash for a nice pickup upgrade if your sound needs to be more "vintage-correct". If you're on a stricter budget I'd go for this option.

8. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Supporting Member

Ive a 05 studio In a horrific zakk wylde paint job that has 57 classics in it and she's a MONSTER! I won't embarrass anyone by saying how little I paid for it but it's better than I'll ever be.

Try one out :aok

9. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Would an Epiphone be a waste of time to consider or do they come close to matching their Gibson counterparts?

10. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

How the F is a 'real' used Studio not more desirable than an Epi?

I have a 2003 Studio. It rips. 100% stock.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

OK, I'll bite, what's the magic in a pre 2007 Studio?

12. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Used LP Traditional from craigslist or eBay?

13. garret

garret Member

I have a 2006 LP Studio in white with ebony neck. It's an awesome sounding guitar. Don't discount studios, especially when they can be had for $600-$700 used.

14. rummy

rummy Member

My experience with an Edwards LP was fantastic. It sounded good and felt proper in my hands. It sounded as bit of good as my Gibson Les Paul Custom. I wouldn't call one better over the other.

15. Digital Wrath

Digital Wrath Member

Japanese Tokais are great guitars, with binding too. Studios are pretty much the same thing as Trads without the bling and binding.

I have a Traditional and a Studio. Trad is brighter sounding and it has acoustically less volume. It plays very slightly better with soft notes.

16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Fender made a Flametop "24 series" LP for a couple years in the late (?) 90's under the Squier name. The one I have is near perfect, solid mahogany, better neck , finish work and resonance than any of the 6 LP's I've had. I think I heard they were made the same place as the Guild Bluesbirds... which probably explains a lot. Amazing bargain... mine had no blemishes and was $350. Being cheap I modded mine (so disregard the minis, extra pickup, 5 way switching and knobs)
    [​IMG]

17. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I have never seen that guitar before. Can we get a pic of the headstock?

18. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Pls do yourself a favor and play a studio and a trad and make a decision based on tone.

19. ixnay

ixnay Member

Gibson starting chambering just about everything, including Studios, in 2007.

There may be something else that I'm not aware of, but that's what I assume is non-magical about 2007 and later models (although they did stop chambering them at some point).

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I think so, unless you can find an Elite model LP. They were made in Japan and they are certainly on par with LP USA Standards... I have one and it's a great guitar... The Korean Epi's, not so much..