1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

LP Doublecut GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Johnson, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Ain't nothin' like a TV doublecut!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Davey, I've seen that picture of you a million times (dating back to the LP Forum) but I never noticed that clown. Now I'm scared.

4. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

You know, it's funny... I never much liked the old doublecuts -- but the carved top on the new ones is just yummy.

5. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

:D
    We had 2 of them. They were these creepy motorized acrobat clowns- the arms were hinged and the bar they hang onto would rotate, and the clowns would do flips over the bar. One on each side of the drum kit. Yeah, they were a whole lot of creepy in one place.

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

What kind of music do (did) you play? Sounds like my kind of band.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Sort of "indie rock." I liked to think of it as Fugazi meets Zeppelin. :)

8. Ponec

Ponec Member

I have always thought that mine is a great feeling, playing, and sounding guitar. I really like the DC's upper fret access more than a standard LP's and it is kind of nice to have the extra two frets although they don't see a whole lot of use. The chambered (lighter weight) body is also a big plus in my book. The 490R/498T pickups are not my favorite ('57 Classics are) but they more than get the job done making it a great all-around guitar.

[​IMG]

-Ron

9. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Awesome. Maybe in a couple years I'll get one as a backup to my LP.

10. onemind

onemind Member

I liked mine but sold it...my friend shamed me into he said: Why would you own a guitar that's a copy of a guitar from a company that copied that company's guitar? (or something like that) It is/was a very resonant, light weight and good looking alternative to a Les Paul Standard.

11. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

great freaking axe esp. at closeout prices......

man i want that guitar. something about it is much zingier than an equivalent say PRS. maybe it's just the alnico style pickups i'm responding to.....

12. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

I've had a little experience with double cuts - the first guitar I ever bought was a '94 Custom Shop DC for my kid - beautiful one piece body and heavenly P-90 sound. For ten years, I've coveted that guitar, but really couldn't afford one like it.

A few months ago, I picked up a stripped Faded Series TV Yellow DC from a guy and put in some interesting Nordstrand P-90s. Now, I know the body is a bit thinnner than a regular DC and the tailpiece is also different. But this guitar is great! I keep it by my computer hooked up to a Micro Cube, and it is perfect!

[​IMG]

If you can't afford one of the traditional Gibson DCs, take a look at some used Faded Series models - they will do quite nicely in a pinch.

Dean

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

When I walk into the local GC, those are the first guitars I see.

Although they're not 50s models, Historics or anything of the like- I'm always compelled to play them.

If I were looking for a gigging guitar, those "faded" DC LPs would be on the top of my list.

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

I never had thoughts of the DC Standard, but they are pretty cool. And if you want one, the lack of popularity would probably make finding a used one at a good price pretty possible, I'd think.

I always hated the look of those faded finishes. Just the fact that the grain isn't filled, really. But like The Golden Boy, when I walk into a GC, the TV Yellow LP Specials always catch my eye, and after playing a couple of them, I am warming up to the finish (a little). I am afraid if I bought one, I'd be so tempted to strip it down and give it a proper finish. And wouldn't that defeat the purpose of buying the cheaper version? For the same money, or not much more, couldn't I just buy a CS version?

Just Sunday daydreaming.... I am not in a financial position to buy #16 just yet... ;)