LP faded DC vs. PRS SE Soapbar II

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by D/FW XJ'er, Nov 16, 2005.

1. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

[​IMG]

I waited with anticipation for that Gibson to arrive only to find out it was a complete POS. Frets are sharp on the end (and hang over the edge of the fret board), the finish sucks, the quality blows, and overall I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this piece of junk. I ordered it from Musician's Friend on the word of my buddy, and was sorely disappointed that Gibson would even put out a guitar at this price point assuming this is the best quality they could muster up.

Just the quality between the two guitars couldn't be compared. The PRS SE won hands down, and the LP will be shipping back to Musician's Friend tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]

Both were played through a '68 Fender Pro Reverb, and a Mesa Nomad 55.

The sickening part was the price difference between the two.

$350 out the door for the PRS SE with the hardshell case from my local Guitar Center. $769.99 for the LP faded DC from Musician's Friend. Both were brand new guitars, with the disadvantage going to the PRS in that it was sitting on the GC show room floor open to every 17yo digging into it.

Needless to say, the Les Paul is being returned tomorrow.

2. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

sorry to hear about the bad experiences. I have a PRS SE Soapy and I think it is great, amazing even for the price. A friend of mine has one of the faded double cuts and that thing is great as well, none of the issues described. His has no issues and I love the natural feel of the neck.

3. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

sorry to hear about the bad experiences. I have a PRS SE Soapy and I think it is great, amazing even for the price. A friend of mine has one of the faded double cuts and that thing is great as well, none of the issues described. His has no issues and I love the natural feel of the neck.

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have a Mint Sunburst PRS Se II I can sell for you So you dont feel bad,Plays and sounds perfect,with gig bag 350.00 :D

5. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

It made the deal sweeter that I had no idea about their retail price, and Guitar Center had a brand new one marked at $299.99 by mistake. :dude

Out the door with a hardshell case for $349.99 after they knocked off the tax. :cool:

6. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

The soapy prs se II is shockingly good.; Love mine, and haven't even felt the need to swap out the pickups... anyone know if they are alnico?

7. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

Not sure, but they're decent. Normally the pickups are the first thing I replace on a new guitar, but I'll leave these in for a while and see how they do.

I haven't gotten to try it out in my band yet, but that comes tomorrow night. :cool:

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I just traded off a Gibson LPDC "Faded" and it was an awesome guitar! Played killer and sounded even better. Not a thing wrong with it, but maybe I was lucky?

Chris

9. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I still have a first gen prs SE hardtail in which I recently put some DiMarzio Bluesbuckers. Amazing guitar!! Feels and plays like butta. Sounds killer with the BB pups. I used to have Dragon 1s with coil splitting. They were OK, but the BBs are amazing. For those who aren't familiar with them, they're hb config pups with one coil being dummy for hum canceling the other overwound. Sort of a chimey silent P-90ish tone. Good, very good :) (I got turned on to these with my Soloway Swan).

jon

10. D/FW XJ'er

D/FW XJ'er Senior Member

I've heard mixed reviews on them, but the one I got was horrible. I wasn't about to try another one after I purchased the SE for less than 1/2 what I got the Gibson for. $730.00 was just too much for this specific guitar. I wish I could have gone through local inventory to find a decent one, but no one carries the "faded" LP's in my neck of the woods. :(

11. jrm

jrm Member

Too bad about your experience! I have nothing but good luck with those LP faded DC guitars. I was lookign at buying one about a month ago and everything was looking great on them for me. They were great players etc... If you are still interested in one, I would suggest contacting Saul at Center City Music in San Diego. He had the best prices that I've found.. certainly much lower that MF. he doesn't sell crappy guitars to anyone that I've ever heard of either. Sorry you got burned on those... I've found they're generally great guitars.

12. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

Wow that was a good deal. Got mine with the free gig bag for $399 a couple months back. Just happened to make a phone call at just the right time. They where clearing out the 3 they had left in stock.

Great value.

13. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

felt okay for a while but never stayed in tune and had lousy intonation. setup? oh well it's gone.

so tempted by the soapy II found one for 249 plus tax and it seemed a little flimsy and light but had just awsome tone thru a hot rod deville. maybe i'll go back and buy it now? once u have a baker you are just ruined for anything less! never felt a guitar set up so perfectly! gene b. is "da man"

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Iam selling my SE Soapbar II for 325.00 :D

15. axpro

axpro Member

I've played both and have to agree with the consensus, the faded dc is still at the shop, and the SE SoapyII is happy at home with me!

Going to try out an idea for a series/parallel switch on the volume pot.

should be cool

Dave Mc