LP, it's just too much fun!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HHB, Jul 23, 2005.

1. HHB

HHB Member

I like playing classic rock on my Les Paul, I've done all kinds of originals and still do, but the last few years w/ the cover band have been a gas, I'll never get enough of cranking Bad Co et all w/ the LP , that tone just put's me in the late 60's mindset and every ****** bar is the fillmore. Whose w/ me :dude

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Lately, I've renewed my love of my Strat. But, my first and forever favorite guitar sound will always be my 1979 Les Paul Custom Silverburst.

Now, I know what you're thinking: Norlin era, big neck vollute, etc., etc. But, it was my first good guitar that I bought as a teen, and I still have it to this day. At least 20 other guitars, including other Gibsons, have come and gone through my collection, but this Paul rules all.

Oh, it's far from stock. Duncan pickups and a Groove Tubes FatHead helped make it what it is today, but the neck, the body balance, the vibe is all original. I picked Silverburst when everybody around me picked solid black. It's still the source of some oohs and ahs when I open the case for strangers for the first time.

The tone? Every Paul player knows it. Bad Company, Zep, Lizzy, Free, Y&T, Kiss, Allmans and Skynyrd....

Regardless of what Gibson may be churning out today, at least some of us still have the treasures of a stellar past.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

WORD!
    :dude

My first REAL guitar was/is a 82 Silverburst.
    I just put an RS kit in it, a tonepros bridge, aluminum TP.
    The bridge was falling apart so that had to be done.
    I put Tom Holmes in it years ago before they got stoopid expensive.

I could never sell this guitar, there is something about it that just rules. Heavy as a boat anchor but it has a big FAT sound.

My new R7 s a different animal, both are LP's but you would be surprised how different they are.
    Nothing beats the 82 when it comes to bottom end Ka-Chunka!

Great guitars!!

4. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

'82 Wine Red LP Custom w/original pups...
    i think the Norlin era was a lot like today's Gibson....lotsa misses but a few hits....mine's a good one....

5. erksin

erksin Member

I'm a Norliner as well - '78 LP Deluxe w/minis. All I've done to it was swapping out the original cast parts for a TonePros TP-6 bridge, TonePros locking studs, RS tailpiece, new bone nut, '50s wiring mod, refret w/DiMarzio Jumbo wire, new Klusons, and Schaller straplocks. I totally dig it - love the bigger neck and the minis have a smooth throaty bite. The tone controls rock - the best I've found on any guitar...

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I don't have one now but I did have a Norlin era LP Deluxe.

Don't believe the anti-Norlin propaganda, that Goldtop was the best playing guitar I've ever owned and sounded sweet.
    Build quality was as good as any I've seen too.

7. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

Another Norlin era owner here... '79 wine red Standard. It was my first "good" guitar. I'm mostly a Strat player these days, but if I want to get really nasty, I strap on my Paul. It weighs a ton, but it plays and sounds like a million bucks. I'll never sell it.

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Where the hell is John Phillips when we need him!?

:D

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a 57 Goldtop historic after searching everywhere for a overdrive which would make my tele sound like a Les Paul ,we'll all can say is I finally woke up and smelled the coffee. This thing is more resonant then my tele and very loud for a solid body guitar, people can't believe how loud it is.

I'm with you guys, I'm having fun playing the guitar and not freaking out about how the pickups don't seem to sound right or something. I used to play humbuckers (73 or 74 mahogany Gibson V) and got off of it for a long time but these burstbuckers with the aluminum tailpiece just nail it. The Fenders will be gathering major dust. Now all I need is an SLO with a 2x12 cabinet.

10. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

LOL..........

11. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

LPs rock hard. That's why I have a Standard and a Classic. Now, I need to save for a Historic.

12. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Even though I'm playing Strats quite a bit these days, I've played Les Pauls practically since I started playing guitar, and still do. There's nothing quite like the roar of a LP thru a loud amp. I've been known to have a nice LP or two. ;)

13. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Any SG guys? One day I would like to find a good SG because I love most Gibson necks and having that upper fret access would be killer.

14. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm with ya! Playing Bad Co, Cream, Free--almost anything live with my Lesters makes me damn happy. I'm NOT happy with the way Gibson is doing dealers these days, but I still love my Les Pauls.

I have a great 58 RI I bought in 1998. I looks like Page's guitar. It was good when I got it, but is fantastic now. Over the years, it has REALLY become resonant. Bone stock, it rocks---but also delivers great clean sounds as well. I compared it to a pair of 59 reissues 2 weekends ago (both are beautiful--one was an authentic). My guitar sounded and felt better, which I attribute to the many hours and gigs it has on it. I think that playing a guitar creates more tonal refinement than given credit.