LP: Juniors + Specials YAY, Standards + Customs BOO

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cheezit, Aug 11, 2019.

1. cheezit

cheezit Member

I know those flat-topped, club-necked Juniors and Specials were cheapo student instruments back in the day. But I pick up a thick, heavy LP with a carved top and a bunch of flame in the maple top and it feels like driving my grandpa's Cadillac.

A nice flat cherry slab of mahogony with a P90 is way more my speed. It's like a Telecaster - just a basic layout, everything is minimal fuss, and no binding, carving or furniture-grade wood - no attempt to make the thing fancier than it needs to be.

As a result, I look across the Gibson/Epiphone line and those Epi bolt-ons with the flat tops look kinda cool. Wish they made a slightly better quality version of those.

(Am I trying to provoke people on a Sunday afternoon? Of course)

metrokosmiko likes this.
  2. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I'm starting to feel the same. Love the stripped back simplicity of a Jr and they sound like a fat tele on steroids.

Yamariv and Rossi163 like this.
  3. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

Epiphone has made set neck versions of both the Special and the Junior. I used to have one of the Juniors. People seem to ask way too much for them used, from what I’ve seen.

Plaid Sabbath likes this.
  4. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

I'm with you 100%. I love Juniors & Specials much better than the carved top LP variants. And when it comes to the carved top LPs', of the dozens I've owned over the years, the ones that always stood out (to me) were the lowly "Studio" models.

5. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Best of both worlds.

b80, Rossi163, bryan83 and 7 others like this.
  6. monty

monty Member

Count me as a jr fan. I enjoy some frills on guitars but sometimes it is nice just picking up a jr and playing it and not messing with anything.

7. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

misterg71, manimal and BADHAK like this.
  8. cheezit

cheezit Member

Love the HB in junior format. P90s are nice but the noise...ugh. I wish the silent coil system was more popular.

b80, Colnago and morglan like this.
  9. cheezit

cheezit Member

I’ve got an epi doublecut special from the 90s. Love that thing. I dropped a Duncan Custom into bridge and it’s a great guitar, without being a high-end guitar.

Mincer likes this.
  10. stevel

stevel Member

I think I'd like one.

I've tried LPs, SGs, Explorers, Vs, and they're just not my thing. I think the whole Strat thing is just so ingrained in me - it's all I've really ever played besides acoustics.

I also am not a fan of squared off edges, though I think something with a forearm carve would be OK - I've seen bound Teles and Strats I'd like to have, as well as Andersons, Suhrs, etc. etc.

The idea of a P90 is what most intrigues me - so simplicity with a P90 I could get behind, and maybe the body style as well.

What's the quality issue though @cheezit ?

11. 64 Tele

64 Tele Member

I agree with OP. I love the feel of the flat body, wrap tail and P90 pickup(s).
    I love the look of LP Standards but can't get past the carved top and the feel of
    the bridge.
    Hadn't had a gibson since trading a 1960 junior in 1982 and selling a 55 special reissue in 1985.
    Recently picked up a 61 SG Standard reissue and am enjoying it a lot.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  12. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

As owner of a P90 Special and a '71 LP Std (and a '61ri SG Std) this thread makes me want to punch babies. Now if you had stated Les Pauls + single coils = YAY Les Pauls + humbuckers = BOO, then I would be in the minority that agrees, but still feel it's a lame thread.

datguytim likes this.
  13. 27sauce

27sauce Member

There was a while where I had the whole basic line, melody maker through Custom.

The only one I play every night is the white junior, which I’ve had the longest. I sold the special and Deluxe. I’ve been playing the custom a lot lately. Big fan of the p-90 slabs.

CosmicCowboy, bobgoblin, b80 and 3 others like this.
  14. cheezit

cheezit Member

I aim to please.

15. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

one p-90 FTW

monty likes this.
  16. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I want the walnut version of the Epiphone bolt on SG to slap my PAFs of choice on it and GET GOING

monty likes this.
  17. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I own a Special with Pearly Gates and a Standard. The Standard is a tad more refined and punchy and of course feels more substantial. Looks way better too. The Special is lighter, more versatile, and has a more vintage midrange. Both fantastic guitars.

18. Wag

Wag Member

EPI BOLT-ONS!?!? My gawd man how can you even think it???? Have you no shame? :eek:

Oh.....

Um.......

Here's my Epi bolt-on in TV Yellow. :bonk

A Bill Lawrence L-610, a bone nut and you got yourself a surprisingly playable rock and roll machine for under $200 bucks.

Shhhhhhhhhh....don't tell anybody about this. ok?

[​IMG]

b80 likes this.
  19. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've got LP Standards, Customs, Juniors, etc. They all offer different great qualities. I totally disagree with the OP however - gimme a carve top Standard or Custom and use the Juniors & their ilk on occasion.

20. Plaid Sabbath

Plaid Sabbath Silver Supporting Member

Same here. I had a set neck Epi Junior about 10 years ago maybe. Decent guitar but I flipped it. Couple years later, I looked for another one and I got some serious sticker shock. People were getting pretty stupid with their asking prices.

As far as Juniors and Specials are concerned, I happen to feel more comfortable with slab bodies. I can't get comfortable with an arch top. My picking hand feels funky.

I just watched a couple of the latest Andertons vids where they compared Juniors and Specials (as well as the bare bones Tribute Juniors and Specials). Some subtle, but noticeable differences between the various models. The side by side of the SG Junior and LP Junior was particularly interesting. The SG Junior has that upper midrange bite (kind of like a pissed off Tele), but the LP Junior just has that grunt and growl...especially when overdriven. Much more testicular fortitude.