• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

LP pot/resistor problem

EXP

Supporting Member
Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

EXP

Supporting Member
Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Sounds to me like either the pot's bad or wired backwards :)

CTS makes excellent long-shaft pots that work well in Les Pauls.

I like Sprague Orange Drop caps in my guitars. I've tried a lot of different caps, including the vaunted Hovlands, and for my uses and ears, the OD's are it.

--chiba

(PS I merged your two threads together. Please don't cross-post!)

EXP

Supporting Member
well, turns out it wasnt the pot, there was a short in the coil. apparently some solder leaked through, just cut off the bad part. problem fixed, voodoos sound great now. thanks chiba for your help.

Trending Topics