LP pot/resistor problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EXP, Dec 8, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like either the pot's bad or wired backwards :)

CTS makes excellent long-shaft pots that work well in Les Pauls.

I like Sprague Orange Drop caps in my guitars. I've tried a lot of different caps, including the vaunted Hovlands, and for my uses and ears, the OD's are it.

--chiba

(PS I merged your two threads together. Please don't cross-post!)

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

thanks chiba, ill check the pots on a meter tonight.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

well, turns out it wasnt the pot, there was a short in the coil. apparently some solder leaked through, just cut off the bad part. problem fixed, voodoos sound great now. thanks chiba for your help.