1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

LP pot/resistor problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EXP, Dec 8, 2005.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Last night i put in some Voodoo 59's in my goldtop LP, and while they sound great on the neck pup the signal cuts out on 10. its weird, on 5 the output is fine, but past that up to 10 output gets weaker and weaker and finally cuts out. im hoping its the pot or a resistor, if it is in fact the pots, what are some good pots,caps,etc. would it be better to put in a RS guitar kit or just replace the one cap. ill find out tomorrow when i put them on a Smith meter. anybody have an idea whats wrong?

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Sounds to me like either the pot's bad or wired backwards :)

CTS makes excellent long-shaft pots that work well in Les Pauls.

I like Sprague Orange Drop caps in my guitars. I've tried a lot of different caps, including the vaunted Hovlands, and for my uses and ears, the OD's are it.

--chiba

(PS I merged your two threads together. Please don't cross-post!)

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

thanks chiba, ill check the pots on a meter tonight.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

well, turns out it wasnt the pot, there was a short in the coil. apparently some solder leaked through, just cut off the bad part. problem fixed, voodoos sound great now. thanks chiba for your help.