1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

LP replacing 57 Classics with Pearly Gates

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWR, Jun 4, 2005.

1. JWR

JWR Member

I've just ordered a Pearly Gates set for my '81 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I've had the Classic and Classic+ in there for a long time and am ready for a change. I think these will have less hum to them and perhaps get a little closer to what I am looking for. Any Comments on The Pearly set in a Les Paul? I just put in an RS kit too.

2. shoe

shoe Member

I helped a friend replace his stock classic '57 pickups (from a mid-nineties LP Standard) with Pearly Gates and he was like "what the hell happened to all the tone!!!???"

Needless to say we swaped 'em back and he couldn't be happier.

Hope they work better for you than they did for my friend.

3. JWR

JWR Member

Well, we'll give it a try and see. I am a bit frustrated with the hum with the Gibsons. Looking for something a bit more quiet and improved tonality. I hope I have better luck, alot of guys seem to like them.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

While Pearlys are my fave Duncan pickup, I have seen the error of my ways and worship at the Temple of Wagner. You know why so many people on the Net are talking about these? Because they sound like GOD!-Eric

5. retrospex

retrospex Member

A year ago I a set of Duncan Pearly Gates in my Les Paul and loved it. I still got the neck pickup in there it is fantastic. I changed the bridge to a WCR Shredder and am so happy I did, but the Pearly bridge is a good pickup too.

6. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

This suprises me. They should be quiet. The only reason I can see for a HB to be niosy would be if the coils were mismatched, or it wasn't potted. I believe the 57's have matched coils and are potted. Anyway, I think you'll be very happy. I've become a big fan of the alnico 2 magnet in the bridge position. Please post your results.

7. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

I've had 3 Gibsons with 57 Classics and all 3 were dead quiet.

8. 81Custom

81Custom Member

word...

9. 81Custom

81Custom Member

...Temple of WHO..?
    :eek:

hope wags don't read this....:D