1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

LP RS kit question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by scottlr, Oct 5, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

Along with the tele kit (other thread) I got the basic LP kit, too. I have a 2001 production model LP, so I order the long shaft per RS' instruction. Looking inside my LP's cavity, there is something sort of like a patchbay (attached to the grounding plate) in the middle of all of the stuff. Should I keep this and just do the kit and re-connect as it is now, except for with the new parts? Or do I eliminate this and do a more old style rewiring? I am thinking I want to keep this, but I want to be sure I am doing this one right the first time.

2. Junior

Your choice. The lug strip is just for wiring convenience at the factory.

I guess most would say skip the strip and use the 50's wiring pattern.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, so it has nothing to do with the grounding plate, then? Just happens to be mounted there.

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, I got the kit. I also downloaded the picture of the prewired kit as a visual aid. However, the diagram that comes with the kit is different than the picture of the prewired kit. The grounding wires to the top of the pots is different, but doing the same thing. No problem. But the caps are wired completely bass akwards in the pic to what the diagram says. For instance, the BV/BT pots in the pic show the green wire to the center BT lug, and the red wire to the top BV lug, while the diagram shows the green to the center BV lug and the red to bottom BT lug. WTF??? See pics. Which is correct?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yup, looks like they wired it incorrectly. I do not have their kit but I'd be inclined to re-wire it like the drawing.

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

I think you are right, and will go with the drawing.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

its pretty rare that RS wires things wrong....call them scott..i had the same issue with mine, and i think i had to just turn the diagram to it read correctly...but i cant remember...give them a call...

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Hmm. They've got the kit wired more like this:

[​IMG]

(from Stewart MacDonald)

I think you might get more independence between the volumes on the two pickups if you do it like the way RS has it in their diagram. Yah, a call is probably in order. Too bad they don't make their preference clearer.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

It's hard to read on my scan, but the diagram says "To get the most out of this kit, please follow this schematic exactly. All pickup and switch leads stay unchanged. This wring is designed to give you the most out of the components in the kit".

The diagram and the photo are not turned opposite each other. The pots are clearly marked NV NT BV BT on both and are in the exact same positions. I will cal them and see why they are different. I am now curious about it.

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What did you find out?

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

I haven't called yet. Maybe I'll find time later today. I was hoping Roy would chime in on this thread... but so far...

12. Junior

Roy is probably cleaning coffee off his keyboard.

By chance, is there a copyright notice on the schematic?

RS sells a lot of different wiring schemes depending on the needs of the customer. You're comparing apples to oranges. Go with the diagram you recieived with your kit. (Neither, btw, is the proprietary RS wiring. Tough luck, Jamison.)

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

I emailed RS, but no answer yet. Yes, there is a copyright on the diagrams. What does that matter? Should I not have posted it?
    I figured to go with the diagram, myself. Looking at it and the 50s diagram on the LP forum link someone gave elsewhere, they are pretty much the same.

14. Junior

No, you should not have posted it. Doing so is illegal.

Yes, it's standard 50's wiring.

15. scottlr

scottlr Member

perhaps, but I see no harm. Especially as it's standard 50s wiring. If Roy asks me to, I'll remove it.

16. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Those schematics were done in Adobe Illustrator by a guy/customer for Roy at no charge. Unfortunately, there were several that had errors. The guy was somewhat unresponsive to emails when I left there several months ago. Could very well be that the schematics they are issueing still have problems. I'd call Roy.

17. scottlr

scottlr Member

Well, this schematic looks just like the 50s wiring diagrams I see elsewhere, so I think it is OK.

18. scottlr

scottlr Member

OK, RS Kit installed and working good s far. My first wring job, so not as pretty as it could have been, but functional. But I found stripping cloth wire ain't easy. After getting frustrated with it, I ended up using a scalpel and just slit it lengthwise, the pulled to the side to cut it off. And working side the cavity was a trip. I don't know how I managed to NOT melt something other than what I was working on.
    I had to undo the switch connections, though. I got them mixed up. I haven't had a chance to really try it out, yet, but I'd swear the tone really was better than it was before. Seemed richer. I'll have to find something I recorded before, and put another track beside it and compare.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

19. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I don't know about the RS kits but your probaly dealing with push back wire.
    You push the cloth back,solder and then push the cloth back up to the joint .
    No need to strip it unless it's the junk with the plastic inside.

20. scottlr

scottlr Member

Ahhh, I knew someone would clue me in. Wish I'd have though of that as there was no plastic inside. Next time I will. Thanks.