LP Special VOS purchase

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pcovers, Feb 26, 2009.

1. pcovers

pcovers Member

Got a great deal on a new Les Paul Special double cutaway 1960 VOS model and just am tickeled pink. I am a died in the wool P90 guy and was trying to decide between a new Les Paul Special VOS and a Les Paul 56 VOS. Guitar Center in Rockville, MD had one of each and I put them both through their paces with plenty of time and not shredders around the whole time. Nothing about either of the guitars that I could find fault with. As a matter of fact, the entire GC experience, as well as two in stock Gibsons were just great - imagine that.

The LP 56 was a fatter, more rounded mellower tone and the LP Special was more in line with what I like to hear in a P90, a little more like a tele on mild steroids. The bridge pickup will wail and growl with the best of them. The fit and finish is all quite good, really nice fret job. Great weight and balance and just a very easy guitar to pickup and feel at home with immediately. Two thumbs up for the VOS LP Special double cut!

A near perfect P90 LP.

2. Roodboy

Roodboy Member

Awesome, have fun with it. I think a p-90 beast is next for me.
    How would you describe the tone difference between the 2 guitars?

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I know you wanted to take both home.......
    .....Congrats!

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I had a '56 VOS Special, and it was a stellar guitar. And those stock pickups sounded as close to the vintage pickups in my '53 ES-175 as any pickup I've heard.

Gibson got it right with these guitars, IMO.