LP Specials rule!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gary F., Nov 25, 2005.

1. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Just picked up a '96 LP Special doublecut CS reissue from a fellow TPG'er as a vessel to put my Lollar P-90s in. That'll have to wait 'til next week, along with a Pigtail and caps/pots upgrade, but in the meantime, WHOA! What an incredibly vibrant and alive guitar! It plays fast too with its slim 60's neck. Anyone who's been looking for more meat from their single coils without the humbucker heaviness should try out one of these axes. An LP Deluxe RI, which housed the Lollars until now, can't hold a candle to the sweet overtones and playability of the LP Sp. Haven't been able to keep my hands off of it and it is a keeper for sure. Any other fans?

Gary

2. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I once had a 1977 LP Special. I sold it and bought a drum machine and a Tascam 4-track with the money.

I've owned a lot of guitars in my life but I really regret selling that one (and my 1969 Hagstrom D'Aquisto).

Michael

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've got a 97 Special in TV yellow. Sometimes I feel like I'm Johnny Thunders!

4. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i've got a 57 les paul special coming my way next week! it does have some issues of course(to make it affordable) but it's nothing i can't live with out. it has a solid headstock repair and a refinish in a flat yellow. original pups and 50's electronics. i'm going to get it refinished and reliced by rsguitarworks when i get extra dough. i'm trading my newer historic lp special(tv yellow) plus $600. it comes out to be $2500 for a 57 lp special! it even comes with an original 50's case. that alone is worth a couple hundred bucks.

5. supryl

supryl Member

I own a 1960 Special, it's a cool little guitar!

:)

[​IMG]

6. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

damn, that is special! looks nice man!

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

do the tone controls work well on that guitar? meaning, is there a gradual roll off in tone?

and does the guitar clean up ok when you roll off the volume?

8. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

My '60 TV Special. The tone is awesome. Mine cleans up nicely as you roll off volume and tone controls work fine.
    [​IMG]

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I thought I was "special" for owning one, I guess others like 'em too :D

Here's my beaut, a TV Yellow '05 RI 0 Les Paul Special DC with Sperzel tuners and TonePros locking studs :cool:

[​IMG]

10. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Mine's only a '95 production Special but I did pick it over a '60 Historic re-issue I tried at the same time.

I put a tone-pros bridge and Duncan vintage soapbars on it and, over the course of the last 7 years or so, I've played this guitar more than any other that I've owned in that time.

I love playing on the bridge pickup with a slightly broken up tone or even a little gain and using the volume knob to dial in the tone or volume on the fly. The way the tone changes depending on how hard you dig in is very expressive.

The other really "special" sound of this guitar is having the switch in the middle position and running the bridge vol wide open with the neck volume on 8. It's just the coolest rhythm tone.

[​IMG]