LP static

LPJAM

a few years ago i bought a les paul 50's tribute. when i am using the neck pup there was static. the other two positions were fine. i recently just got my hands on a blueberry burst standard LP. sure enough when i tried it the neck pup had static the other two none. is this normal. i guess it's livable just strange it happened on two of them.

OiRogers

A blueberry burst LP Standard had 3 pickups? Am I reading that right?

Seriously though,
Depending on your location, it's winter. The air is dryer and the nitro finishes on some instruments seem more prone to static build up. Rub your guitar down with a dryer sheet and see if that helps.... particularly the control plate cover.
I had an LP Special that got static issues anytime the ambient humidity went below 30%... I ended up putting that copper-foil on the inside of the control / pot area and ran a ground wire from the one of the screws holding the plate in place to the ground itself. Solved the issues in that instrument.

I am honestly not sure if poly finished instruments do the same, only have 1 of em and it doesn't get much play.

cj_wattage

Silver Supporting Member
Static-like crackling sounds can be dust or other foreign matter in the switch contacts (or in the wiper of pots). A little spray of CRC in the contacts ought to clear it up.

Could also be a solder joint that was either a "cold" joint when formed or has since cracked physically and is causing intermittent connection.

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
Poly finishes and some plastic parts can cause the static popping from your hands. The electricity discharges through the output jack and into the amp. I had this problem with a Baja Tele and tried all the fixes I could find on the web (it's a common issue), and some worked a little better than others but didn't cure it for me. My ultimate solution? Got rid of the guitar.

Some people are more "staticky" than others, from what I've read and experienced. I could make the Tele crackle and pop, especially by rubbing my fingernails on the pickguard, then hand it to my friend, who couldn't make it happen. Luck of the draw.

LPJAM

A blueberry burst LP Standard had 3 pickups? Am I reading that right?

Seriously though,
Depending on your location, it's winter. The air is dryer and the nitro finishes on some instruments seem more prone to static build up. Rub your guitar down with a dryer sheet and see if that helps.... particularly the control plate cover.
I had an LP Special that got static issues anytime the ambient humidity went below 30%... I ended up putting that copper-foil on the inside of the control / pot area and ran a ground wire from the one of the screws holding the plate in place to the ground itself. Solved the issues in that instrument.

I am honestly not sure if poly finished instruments do the same, only have 1 of em and it doesn't get much play.
sorry. meant 3 positions as Tim said

rummy

My Custom does that time to time. It's only on this spot on the under side. I just don't touch that spot any more, haha.

JJ321

My tele partscaster that I put together a couple of years ago does the same thing when I rub my fingers over the pickguard, but only when I play on the neck pickup.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom