LP Studio premium plus with maple neck? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcgriff420, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I tried the most amazing Gibson LP today/yesterday. Mahog body with a highly figured maple cap (natural finish), 3 piece MAPLE neck with rosewood board. I believe it was a Studio Premium Plus. It was definitely the lightest LP I've ever played -are these chambered?

Sound wise and playability wise it easily held it's own against the custom I A/B'd it with (IMO). The salesman said there were only 100 of these produced.

Any insight to these? How do you feel about maple necks on LP's. It's going for 2076$ Decent deal? Collectability?

When I checked the gibson site it says mahogany neck, but this one was clearly maple..old guit of the month? special edition?

2. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I foolishly sold a 77 LP Deluxe with maple neck a few years back. The maple gave it a clarity I've yet to experience in other LP's. Don't know if the price you're getting is a good deal but I can tell you I kick myself every time I see a Deluxe from that era...especially for the kind of money they're getting now.

3. Michael T

Michael T Member

That was a guitar of the week, and it is a standard not a studio. I have played a couple and they were OK.....I can't say that I like Les Pauls with Maple necks.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I'm not sure it was a guitar of the month unless it was exclusive to Canada, because on the Gibson site it shows it with a mahog neck.

I will agree with frisco kid I liked the clarity, and it was a damn nice piece of mahogany I gotta go back and weigh that sucker!

5. Michael T

Michael T Member

I could be wrong about the guitar of the week thing......not sure if Gibson archives that on their site or not.

THe one I played with the maple neck has binding, the binding is just hard to see because of the light color maple top. I'll bet an imaginary dollar that is the case with the one you played too.

It is light because it is a chambered guitar.

6. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Thanks for the info. I was really diggin the one I played. It's on layaway until I make up my mind..

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Zakk Wylde used to seek out those late 70's LP's with the maple necks. All of his LP's have maple necks as does his signature model.

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I recall seeing a model called something like "Summer Jam" which had a maple neck and a goldburst like finish (goldtop gold burst into a trans amber like finish). It's appointed more like a Standard than a Studio though. Here's one for reference:

http://www.fullersguitar.com/compon...967/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/vmcchk,1/

I'm not usually one for overly fancy guitars, but I personally really dig that one.

9. 155

155 Supporting Member

gold burst = yuck

10. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

i think i have to agree that color is ugly

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Yeah that particular color doesn't do it for me, the one I'm looking at is done in natural with gold hardware. I don't normally go for gold (pardon the pun) but it seems to work on this one esp with the maple neck. Here's a shot of a very similar Gibby but with a mahog neck, this top doesn't come close to the top on the one I'm looking at.

[​IMG]