LP studio vs epi LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rkp111, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

I have a '99 Studio that I bought new. It's plain black and nothing to look at. Swapped the pickups and tuners, dialed it in, and likely will keep it 'forever' (I've had it for 18 years so far). I've also played a few recent Epiphone LPs, but not done a serious survey. Maybe I got lucky with my Studio and have only tried dud Epiphones, but there's no comparison. It may be worth noting that this Studio is particularly resonant — easily felt in the fretting hand, and even the toes when standing.

Ncp10 likes this.
  2. doc

doc Member

I'd keep my eye out for used ones of either type locally, and play before you buy. Failing that, my nod goes to the Gibsons over Epiphone, but that's based on my preferences, not necessarily yours. If nothing else, go play some of each type before you decide. Both brands make some fine guitars.

Mentat likes this.
  3. Ncp10

Ncp10 Member

I've had a few Epi's that were OK, but the Studio I got sounded much better to me.

4. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

About a month or so ago I bought a mint Epi LP Traditional PRO II from a pawnshop for $200 and loved everything about it. Everything. Three weeks later I bought a 2011 Gibson LP Studio Satin from the same pawnshop for $415. I literally drove straight home, got the Epi and sold it to GC for what I paid for it as there was no need for both. Honestly I'd be happy with either one, matter of fact the Epi is still hanging at GC and I nearly bought it back last week for $299. It was that good. To answer the question though if I could only have one it'd be a used Gibson every time. I've owned about 20 Gibsons over the years and have never ever had a problem with any of them.

5. Antmax

Antmax Member

I was really impressed with the Epiphone that comes with the Gibson Pickups. I think it was the Tribute I played around with last year. Very nice guitar bought new at Gibson studio used prices.

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Member

I think an older Gibson LP Studio is where you'd want to be on the quality/value scale. My '07 has an ebony board, good fretwork (not all of them do, in either brand), and 490R/498T pickups. Got it earlier this year, $750. Money well spent.

7. Adagietto

I've heard that the early '90s were a relative peak for Studios. My '99 needed to have the frets leveled. The single best improvement was replacing the 490R/498T pickups, which I strongly disliked.

8. Dale

Dale Member

I have an Epi 1960 V3 and a couple of Studio LPs. One is P90 satin finish Tribute (2011). The other is gloss a 2013 studio. All three are great guitars. I had a 2005 LP Standard as well. it depends on the Epi I suppose. I did not care for the smaller fretwire on the Epi. It is otherwise a great guitar. I had it refretted with standard Gibson size wire ($200). I tend to play my SG's Standard more these days.

9. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Knowing what I know...which is a little about a lot...I would probably lean towards getting a used Gibson LP Studio over an Epiphone LP. In my experience, you'll get more long-term bang for your buck from the Gibson and, yes, it will hold more of its value than the Epi.

That said, I have played a couple of the newer Epi LP Traditional PRO guitars and they are quite nice. I really like the satin neck finish on them and the pickups and features make for a decent value if you can get one sub-$400.
    Still, a used Studio or even a 2013 or '14 LPJ could be had for $500 and they are good guitars for the money.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

We're seeing things 180 degrees out of phase then, not sure why. I see more inexpensive LPs with great fretwork than I see guitars that cost $3k+ with great fretwork overall, and I am, without doubt, the pickiest SOB on the planet when it comes to fretwork. Not that you don't see the occasional dog from anyone, but I see quite a few that customers pick up for squat used that only need a setup to play amazing and no fretwork, or maybe a minimal amount in the fall away area. I don't see that a lot from hardly anyone else; most fretwork I see on guitars falls in what I'd call the "I'd have been embarrassed had I made this and let it leave the factory this way" category.

11. GibSG

GibSG Member

The Gibson is the real thing, wood, hardware, pickups, playability, feeling, everything is better on the Gibson Les Paul, a pure instrument

:)

12. rkp111

rkp111 Supporting Member

Hey there, thanks to everyone for the imput, I'm trading a tele for the 2016 LP studio faded ebony
    Professionally set up.
    I got to say some of the epi LP,s are awful tempting

alexanderplatz and EricPeterson like this.
  13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Very happy with my Les Paul Tribute 20017 Gold Top. To my hands it feels higher quality than the Epis I have played, though the epi standards are great guitars in their own right. I will admit mine needed more setup work than the epi standards I have played, but after a setup by my Luthier and some minor nut work, it plays beautifully.

I personally love the satin gold top finish and light back. I think it has a nice understated elegance.

Sound is pure les paul, no complaints there.

alexanderplatz likes this.
  14. Adagietto

You must have seen my new '17 Supro Westbury.

15. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

It seems possible to me that Gibson makes sure no dogs get sent to a musically notable city like Nashville, like a restaurant owner making sure the VIP customer gets the very best the restaurant has to offer. Meanwhile, they allow more spotty merchandise to get shipped to less notable markets. Just a theory.

I have actually seen a few nice Studios, I should add. They're not all crappy. But I've met very few that gave me that feeling of "Wow I wish I could buy this one right on the spot."

16. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

I've been contemplating this exact same thing recently. I still haven't bought an LP yet, but my experience with the cheaper Gibsons was extremely disappointing.

I played a new Faded Studio and two Tributes, and they were embarrassing. They all had sharp fret edges and the painting on the neck was extremely sloppy (in all fairness the sharp frets could be because we just had a cold snap, but this seems inexcusable for a guitar in the $1000 price range). The Faded also had a volume pot that didn't work properly; at around 8, the volume was full on and when turned up to 10, it cut out; again, this is not something I'd expect from a $1000 guitar. That trip to the guitar shop has me considering Epiphone or a PRS SE--neither had the same issues.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  17. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

I've got a '96 MIK Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honeyburst that is a really nice Les Paul. I like it a lot and will never get rid of it.

That said, I play my Gibson 2013 Alpine White LP Studio a lot more.

But I need to grab the Epi and start playing it again - As I said, it's a fantastic LP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Adagietto likes this.
  18. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Fret sprout is a fact of life during winter. As for the pot problem, it may just have been loose and when turned all the way up, a lug shorted on the shielding paint in the rout. Or it could have been a bad pot.

LeGar likes this.
  19. LeGar

LeGar Supporting Member

I fully get that, which is why I gave a caveat. I still felt, however, since none of the other guitars I tested suffered from the same affliction, it was worth noting. Michigan winters wreak havoc on guitars, but my cheaper guitar's frets are still in a bit better shape.

20. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

Used Studio Faded (Gibson)