1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

LP style guitar with bolt-on neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bmetelits, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I was looking thru the electric guitar catalog at Rhondo Music (http://www.rondomusic.com/), and I saw some Les Paul copies with bolt-on necks. After comparing pictures of the bolt-on and a real LP, I cannot see much of a difference, if any, in the accessability to the high frets. Both the bolt-on and a real LP join the body at the same fret. The heel shape of both guitars looks the same to me. Also, the Agile LP is a set neck, not neck-thru-body. The set neck looks like a glued in bolt-on without the neck plate. Isn't the Gibby a set neck, too? What am I missing?

2. examiner

examiner Member

Don't think you are missing anything, if that's the real question.

All Gibson LP's are set neck (with a couple model exceptions years ago). Almost all LP copies are set neck. LP copies w/ bolt on necks are *generally* low-cost models, as this is usually done in an attempt to reduce manufacturing expense.

That's why you can buy a Fender copy for $120 and the cheapest set neck LP copy you'll find is probably $200 or so...

The debate on tone, sustain, etc. on set neck vs. bolt has raged for years and will never be settled. But most LP copies are set neck because that's traditionally how a "real" LP is constructed. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Find a 1970's Ibanez bolt-neck LP and you'll find lightning in a bottle. Nothing "low end" about them. I just got this one and it is a killer. It's a model 2351AV with stock "upgrades" from a basic model that include the pickups, bridge, tail, and knobs:

[​IMG]

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

The heal on a bolt neck LP is somewhat different, the neck heel does not come down to a point and join flish with the back of the body. Also, on all the bolt neck copies I've been able to look at closely They body is a bit thinner than a Standard, by almost a cm, so it tends to make for a lighter instrument

I've had 4 LP over the years, 2 were bolt neck copies, one of which played well, the other one, well, it looks nice. Tone is a but wimpy, but that's down to the PU's not the neck join.

The other 2 are real. Honestly, I prefer the real thing. They sound better. But at 4 times the cost, you gotta ask how much you want that last 5%-10%.

[​IMG]