LP Traditional vs 57 LP RI VOS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarrn, Feb 20, 2009.

1. guitarrn

guitarrn Member

I am looking to upgrade my main guitar. I have a jones for an LP goldtop with the big 50's neck. I have seen the LP traditionals running for approx 2000-2300 and the LP VOS in the 2700 to 3500 range. Is this difference in price worth the difference in the guitar? A little about me, I am all about tone, mainly play slower minor blues stuff. I have 2 Epi LP's that I absolutely love, but want the real deal now. anyone have an insight? my understanding is the main difference is the VOS has burstbucker's and the traditional has 57 classics. any help? thanks. wesley:phones

2. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I have both traditional and R8. Traditional is weight relieved although still around 9lbs. About the same weight as my R8 which is solid. I think they use lighter mahogany on the reissues. Anway, the traditional is a great guitar. The ones that I've played have been very consistant. The neck is a nice shape and feels really comfortable. The necks on the R8's and R7's are deeper yet still comfortable. This may not help much but the reissues sound more vintage to me. Both are great guitars and feel great to play. I would try both and see which one speaks to you.

3. sqadan

sqadan Member

Try them both and see what you like better?

I'm biased towards the R7 myself... but the busrtbuckers can be an acquired taste for some... The 57 Classics will have a rounder more overtly "fat" tone and the burstbuckers are a little more biting / articulate.

The R7 will be solid - the traditional will be weight relieved.

The R7 will have the vintage style ABR1 bridge - the Traditional will have the larger nashville bridge.

The neck on the R7 will be fatter than on the traditional.

The R7 has top hat knobs, the Traditional has speed knobs...

The R7 will hold it's value better prolly....

Anybody else?

4. guitarrn

guitarrn Member

thanks so much for the info. I'm looking for something to get both a great Gary Moore type sound as well as Billy Gibbons vibe. I've been told that the burstbucker is the better choice. any insight?