LP Tribute' are AWESOME!! 50's w/P90 content.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sean French, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I'e played a bunch at my GC over the past 6 months or so. All were quite good. However, all were 60's and all but one had the maple boards.
    I really wanted to buy the one with rosewood board but, the neck was a bit too thin for my taste.

Well a couple of weeks ago I got a 50's GT with a rosewood board from the first run in '10.
    Man, this badboy is killin'.

I've owned over a dozen historics and a vintage '57 Junior. Have been without a LP for two years.
    Been wanting a P90 LP and glad I found my 50's Tribute.
    I have to honest and say I do prefer this Tribute to the two R4' I've owned.
    Impossible right? Nope, this guitar has changed my LP snobery. lol

Open and airy yet, still has foucus and balls. Can be sweet and singin' or just scream.
    Being chambered it's barely over 7 lbs.
    The 50's neck on mine is not too fat at all. Nowhere near Historic 50's fat.
    Which is good for me. I like 'em chuncky but, don't like a bat.
    Mine feels very much like the 30/60 neck on my 339. Slightly softer shoulders though.

I'm not gonna change a thing. The stock P90' are great. Not too hot but, still have balls.

This is simply a great feeling and sounding Gibby.
    I'm glad I got this baby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

That's beautiful. Congrats and way to hold out to get the rarer version that you really wanted!

3. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Nice.. I just picked up a barely used 60s GT Trib (satin natural mahog back, rosewood, fattish 60s neck).. keeping the P-90s, putting in RS SuperPots and paper/oil caps. Smokin' :aok

4. Marble

Marble Member

sweet stuff dudes

5. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Gorgeous and badass.

6. acwild

acwild Member

Congratulations! Is there anything more fun than a Les Paul with P90's? I think not. :)

7. spence

spence Member

That thing look sweet! Why did they put 60's knobs on it though? I'd swap those for 50's style, and change out the stop tail and bridge with nickel (I'm guessing that they're chrome on that model?). An amber switch tip would look cool too! Do these guitars have a satin finish on them?

8. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

Looks like it has a really nice top carve! Those are great guitars for the price. One low cost upgrade that would make it look much better would be to replace the pink plastic with nice cream colored stuff.

9. RonH

RonH Member

Great looking guitar Sean!

I agree that they are awesome. I have a 60's with the natural mahogany back and rosewood board. I jumped on it when I saw Wildwood still had some of those available. It is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I have ever owned.

10. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Sweet! Nice dish on that one...do i see some greening going on already...mojo in the making!

11. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Mine has kind of a puny carve, but I really don't mind.. always preferred Juniors b/c they're capless anyway =]

12. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

My experience is the same.
    I have a 60's model and it smokes.
    Plays GREAT, lightweight, sounds great.
    I've owned many Les Pauls over 30+ years and this thing is one of the best playing ones I have ever owned, including several Historics.

I got it on trade and fully intended to sell it.
    Now I just don't know if I can let it go...

[​IMG]

:hiP

13. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

I just got the same guitar, but with a 60s neck. Rosewood board, light back, gold top. I flat out love it. P90s in an LP are very cool.

If you want to get a nice glossy shine, pick up some virtuoso cleaner and polish at GC. 4-5 coats of cleaner followed by 3-4 coats of polish will make that baby shine beautifully. Not quite as much as a true nitro gloss gold top, but pretty darn close.

I also swapped out the knobs for gold top hats and I'm contemplating switching out the plastic to creme. I will also probably install a bigsby at some point down the road.

Congrats on a great guitar.

14. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Just curious, is yours a 2011?

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

i have yet to buy my first Gibson, but this one is on the top of the list. played one at GC and was really taken with it.

16. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i've been waiting on finding one of those.
    missed that first run and they went up to like 1100 on the bay.
    missed a couple at 700 recently that i would have liked to have bought but noticed them too late.
    anyone that has a gold top one of these - please let me know. . . .

17. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Yes. 2011. I was surprised that they were still using rosewood boards in '11

18. RonH

RonH Member

I have posted these before but here is a few pics of my 2011 model.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

I am fairly certain that sometime in early '11 they made the switch, because if you look on Gibson's website they have this model described both ways (w/ rosewood and maple boards). Pretty sure the dark back is a dead give-away of a maple board.
    So in other words, we got lucky:rotflmao

20. RonH

RonH Member

I think you are right about the dark backs having the baked maple boards. I started looking and all the guitars had dark backs. Personally, I don't like dark backs. Luckily, Wildwood Guitars here in Colorado had some natural back models left with rosewood fretboards. I played a few and came home with the guitar above. I love everything about it!