LP vs HAMER vs PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slowburn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

Discuss the differences in tone. , obviously, but all in the same general ballpark. talk about advantages and disadvantages of each design

Gibson Les Paul

[​IMG]

Hamer Monaco Elite

[​IMG]

PRS McCarty

[​IMG]

2. olieolie

olieolie Member

all personal preference...

all great guitars, all different sounds and feel...your best bet is to try each one out and see which is more comfortable and best sounding to your ear and hands

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Alright, I'm not a PRS fan (that you know), but I love Hamers & Gibbys...

My take: both Hamers & PRSi aspire to be the Gibby, sometimes they hit it, sometimes they don't. Both Hamer & PRS also try to do things above & beyond what the LP is, sometimes they hit it, sometimes they don't.

When you find a good one, whether Hamer, Gibson, or PRS (ahem), you'll still want one of the others, too!

4. slowburn

it would be sweet to have 1 of each. a badass black beauty collection

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I like Hamers. Never liked how the Monaco looks all that much though. I'd choose a Hamer, but not that one. The cutaway bugs me.

Maybe one of their Artist guitars:

[​IMG]

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I played a sweet '56 Reissue Gold Top LP a few years ago. I couldn't afford it though, but the sound and feel haunted me. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I was able to pick up a new Hamer Monaco Elite Gold Top with P90's. Search over! WOW! Also every time I play my McCarty my mouth drops. I always forget how awesome it sounds and plays. I do wish it had separate volume and tone controls though.

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I own a 79' Standard, 81' Sunburst and 02' Studio Hamers and love them, but they do sound different than the Gibson and PRS guitars. I just played a 57' Goldtop Reissue that was amazing. Thick neck and mild pickups produced a serious grind through a 18 watt Marshall. In contrast I played a PRS 22 Standard that was nice as well. Hotter pups gave it a thicker tone through the Marshall, but not as much girth. That LP was a thick as syrup, whereas the PRS what thinner, but cut a little better. Each has it's purpose.

For me, the Hamer Sunburst and Studio are a little of both and I like it that way. My 79' Standard is another story entirely. Can you say, Reverend Billy G.?

IPH

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

In my experience Hamer and PRS guitars are generally built better than Gibsons, but there are exceptions of course.

Aesthetically the PRS and LP are the most pleasing. I hate the Hamer "boat oar" headstock and am not too fond of the little "lip" that is next to the neck joint. The control layout on the Les Paul is the best IMO. Quick access to the selector switch and volume and tone for each pickup. I find black guitars look pretty boring, not my thing at all.

Tonewise the LP is propably the thickest sounding of the bunch, but some may want more clarity and that's where the PRS would come in. The Hamer falls somewhere between the two and would be a nice compromise in that respect. This could be just a difference in pickups with the LP and Hamer though.

9. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I think Bobgoblin nails it.

No argument from me that Hamer or PRS is built better than a Gibson, yet only a Gibson Les Paul is a Les Paul.

I own a few Gibson Historics and a Hamer Studio Custom. All excellent, but different guitars.

10. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I don't so much disagree as feel you left something off... Both Hamer and PRS aspire to be the Gibby of 1952 through 1959:D Meaning they both started to try to deliver off the shelf products that matched the quality and tone of those guitars.

PRS hooked up with Santana, the Nuge, etc. Hamer hooked up with Rick Nielson, who I think very highly of, and the rest is marketing and growth history. That means one is really quite a bargain, and the other... Well I wouldn't pay PRS prices because there's so much out there that is awesome for less. They are pretty, and they are good, but I can get pretty and good for half the price too!

11. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Haha, yeah, you're absolutely right, good call. I will say this, even if it offends some folks around here: Some o'them PRS are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen. 10 tops, Dragons, Eagles, birds, ugh, just plain unsightly.

Of course, this is a guy (me) who owned a pea green gretsch guitar!

12. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

i think the true PRS sound requires an ebony fretboard to get that percussive sound....that said, PRS no longer offers ebony and is now very similar to that warm rosewood sound that you get from a LP. the only one i own is a Hamer and i love it...i sold a LP to get it

13. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I think all three are really great guitars. LP's will have the thickest most chunky sound, I think consistant build quality is probably PRS, Hamer, Gibson (can be really close and not always right). I find that PRS seems to be very well balanced guitars if you get most of your tones through the pup selection and tone knob.

I don't really think PRS aspires to be Gibson, I think PRS wanted a guitar that tried to balance the things that were good about Gibson solid bodies and Fenders with a dash of modern but still maintain some classic design ideas.

I Love LPs and they used to be my main axe, but I find that PRSs seem to be more rounded. Alot of people don't like them because they are a bit different to handle than a LP(physically and sonically), but once you get there, it's a great guitar.

The Hammers I've played (there really haven't been that many) are very Gibsonish with more of a modern touch. They are great guitars. I think I should have at least one of each.

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I think we all need to have at least one of each. In the next year or so I'll have to start looking for a good deal on a Hamer to go with my Gibson and PRS guitars.

Then I'll have to get a McInturf, a Driskell, a real Baker (non Roman), Heritage, and several others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

:dude

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

IMHO Hamer is headed the wrong way. The models over the past few years have gone away from what I like. The best guitar they have ever made is the exployer style body bound with the cool headstock. Rick Neilson in Cheap Trick played these. My local store has a Mirage II they have had for several years they can't sell. It is an OK guitar.

I"ve been kinda of gassing for a PRS lately. It should be noted that I have 4 Gibsons allready. I"m considering getting a SG61 instead of a PRS now. The CE models sound a tad brighter to me. I do not like the wrap around bridge though. Some of PRS models are too expensive as are some LPs.

The good ol LP Standard-----you can't beat that. The best guitar ever made period.

16. slowburn

I think BBQ and bobgoblin are both right, the PRS custom 22 (their original model right?) was aimed at combining the best of les paul and strat worlds... the mccarty, however (and later the single cut) was aimed at a total les paul type of vibe.

p.s. bob, bigsbys are ugly.

17. seanc

seanc Member

i am always going to say PRS. they are the best sounding, best looking and they have never let me down. love 'em to death.

the hamer would be running second....looks real perdy like :)

18. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I do own all 3. Here's my put.

LP (sorry, mine misses the 52 - 59 era by one year and the original pickups died so I've got Antiquities in it - don't be jealous, it's kind of beat up.) Thick, growly full bottom heavy tone. Nothing like it other than another Lester. Kind of a blues rock monster.

Monaco Elite (Wagner Goodwoods) - lighter, more delicate tone, not quite as full sounding. Very flexible and balanced full spectrum tone.

McCarty (stock) - More midrange, agressive tone. Very quick focused response, great rock tone. Just not girthy enough to replace a LP.

I like 'em all, alot. I wish I had a couple more of each.

19. Phil M

Phil M Member

There's nothing like a Les Paul for me, so I'd get that.

Throw a trem on that PRS and you could easily justify getting both. :)

I like your taste. The black with the binding/edge scrape is very classy looking.

20. Zanary

Zanary Member

Of the three, I'd take the Les Paul. However...

...the PRS McCarty Soapbar I owned was excellent, and I'd love another...

...and Hamer makes availalbe Vs and Explorers with binding and better tops than produciton Gibbys.

I'd happily shop all three brands, but only the Gibby is a Les Paul. The others should play to their unique strengths.