Lp with Darkbursts thru Zinky Blue Velvet

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by davetcan, Oct 1, 2005.

1. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

Hi everyone, I'm very worried about posting this as I'm not the best player (understatement) and certainly not in your league, but I wouldn't mind some tone feedback. Signal path is LP STD with Wagner Darkbursts>Toadworks Redux>e609mic>Zinky BV>Lexicon Omega>computer. I added a little bit of verb to the mix. In the clean portion I just toggled through the pickups starting with the neck, and the dirty part was bridge, neck, and back to bridge.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2922121&q=hi

2. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Nice Dave, very nice. Clean crisp tone.

3. davetcan

4. Normster

Normster Member

Gorgeous tone, but I wish you hadn't ragged on your playing...it's better than mine. ;)

5. davetcan

Very funny, I've heard yours, completely different league :)

Thanks for the tone comment though, I usually record at such low volumes that it's tough to translate how nice the Zinky can sound, it sounds really nice opened up a bit.

6. journo

journo Member

Hi Dave,

Absolutely wonderful tone. Clean, warm and dynamic. It does however sound like a little bit of digital distorsion sometimes when you dig into the strings.

One question abiout signal chain.
    I've never heard of the Toadworks Redux or the e609mic. Can you tell me what they are and what they do?

I also like the BT. Any chance of posting it here for the rest of us?

And finally about your playing. What I hear in this track may not be fast and furious but I hear tasteful restraint, great tone and someone who's willing to play with the track and not over the track. I'd like to hear more from you!

Cheers,

Mats N

7. davetcan

Mats,
    thanks you very much for the kind words on my playing, I didn't start until I was in my 40's so my chances of playing anything fast probably disappeared about 25yrs ago, I try to compensate with emotion and tone but that doesn't always happen.
    :)

The Toadworks Redux is a new double delay pedal that I've only had a couple of days. Info can be found here;

http://www.virtualtoad.com/rd/index.html

My first impressions are very good.

The e609 is a Sennheiser mic, similar to a sm57 but designed to lay flat against the speaker grill, I've been very pleased with it's performance.

Thanks for the tip on digital distortion, that's the kind of thing I was looking for, I've only been recording a short while so any advice is very welcome.

As for hearing more from me I'll see what I can do, but I'm very nervous about posting here, so many truly great players. :dude

I've actually been listening to a lot of your backing tracks thanks to Jeff (Weldaar). They are extremely well done and a joy to play (or attempt to in some cases) over.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen.

I'll post the bt when I get home from work.

Dave

8. davetcan

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the backing.

Regarding digital distorsion, that can be an ugly beast. Back when I started recording there were only analog recorders and they were very forgiving when it came to overloading the recording medium. In fact sometimes it sounded better if you did overload it. You could use it as a creative tool. Not so with digital distorsion. What I usually do is putting a limiter or a compressor just before the recorder when I use an amp. I usually also sacrifice some bit depth and record with a slightly too low signal just to make sure I don't get any digital surprises if I suddely feel like really digging into the strings during a take. Musical expression always has the priority before technical excellence. Of course I try for both but I know where the priority is.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. davetcan

Mats please keep in mind I'm absolutely new at this recording thing if these questions seem stupid.
    I've just purchased (not arrived yet) a tube mic pre-amp (ART TPS II) that I plan on using for vocals and guitar. Is it as simple as watching the level meters on the pre-amp and making sure they don't go into the red zone?
    I can also control my input signal into the Lexicon Omega, again making sure I don't get the "red light" unless I really dig in.
    I'm using Cubase SE software. Can I just adjust the mix in there to avoid distortion?
    ...or am I missing the boat somewhere? (that means completely lost)

I should probably look for a recording 101 course somewhere :)

11. journo

journo Member

Hi Dave,

No such thing as a stupid question if meant seriously.

The basic answer to your question is: Yes, don't let those meters get into the red. Not at all. Not even when you dig in. The ART may be forgiving as may the Omega (which I have enever used) but when it comes to the computer interface (i.e. sound card) please regard red as a "no no". That way you are safe. If I'm not mistaken there's no way to control incoming levels into the computer in Cubase. You can only determine the level entering the Cubase program and it's output. Mind you, it's even more important to keep an eye on levels inside Cubase as levels tend to add up and can cause severe digital ugly distortion.

The general rule is to run everything as hot (i.e. high) as possible but never go into red. There is a long and technical reson for this and I'm not sure I even understand all of it. What I do understand is that it has to do with utilising the maximum amount of bits in the digital system to get the optimal signal to noise ratio. It also has to do with alising artifact that occur in the system if signals are not optimized.

Some people use a limiter to avoid hitting the Aanalog to Digital Converters too hard. If you don't have a limiter you can set a compressor to almost mimic a limiter. Please note that you need to put this limiter/compressor before the signal enters the computer. Thus for this purpose the included software limiters/compressors are of no use as they only affects signals already in Cubase. There are a number of other corrective and/or creative uses for those but that is another story.

Good luck with your recording. It is a learning process but it's immensley rewarding even as you learn.

Cheers,

Mats N

12. davetcan

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Mats, I'll keep a sharp eye on all the red lights and zones :D

I think next up I'm going to try your Shadow from Behind, I love that backing, not sure how I'll handle it though.

cheers,

Dave