LR Baggs, good experiences with....?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Megatron, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Megatron

Megatron Member

One of my local dealers is an LR Baggs dealer and they were talking them up a bit and encouraging me to stop in and checkout the M1.

I'm actually not sure if I want a sound hole magnetic pickup, Considering the M80 but might be more interested in the Lyric. Maybe even the Anthem. It's going in a D28. thanks!

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Most LR Baggs systems I have used are pretty good at reproducing a full bass sound. This might work against you in the case of a D28.
    I like the recent trend of basically stealth installs with sound hole mounted controls and internal pickups.
    What are your playing circumstances? Studio, loud live band, singer songwriter, acoustic combo?

3. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

Love my M1A. Sounds good, removable, doesn't feed back. I like the sound better than the vast majority of piezo equipped acoustics.

I think Baggs makes outstanding stuff and you can find something that will produce the amplified sound you are looking for by looking/listening through their product line.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

"considering a pickup truck but might be more interested in the jet ski. Maybe even the motorcycle." ;)

those are all excellent pickups (big fan of baggs stuff) but do wildly different jobs from each other.

the M80 will be the most "bulletproof" as far as getting super loud without feedback, while the lyric is just the opposite, since it's not a pickup at all but a mic; conversely, the lyric will sound the most "acoustic" while the M-80 will have that stringy "pickup" sound, albeit with a bit of body sensitivity mixed in.

the anthem is actually a fairly decent balance between those two extremes.

5. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I have had really good luck with my M1a Baggs pickup. Sounds good to me!

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

They make a variety of products, but all of them are good. I have the Lyric in three guitars, plus the M1A in one. And the cello pickup to boot.

The Lyric is awesome, very natural tone and feel. The M1A is also good, but not even close to the natural tone of the lyric. It’s much more clacky and electric sounding. But it doesn’t feedback, and unlike most sound hole pickups, it does pickup the guitar’s body sound.

7. Megatron

Megatron Member

I was kinda leaning towards the Lyric to get away from the soundhole pickup sound and catch more tone from the overall guitar. Was wondering about extra noise from moving around the guitar or fret hand noise. My technique is fine but I saw a few people mention it on YT videos.

Was also considering a Duncan MagMic SA6.

This would be for home use, Small to medium church or club, weddings. Looping as well.

8. McStrats

McStrats Member

The M1A is a great pickup. I found the Lyric to be a complete turd.

9. walterw

i think you just got unlucky; when the lyric first came out, there were some issues.

i installed one of the first ones i got in for a customer and the sound was amazing, like what you wished an acoustic pickup could sound like. it then proceeded to stop working :huh

i swapped it out with the other one i had in stock, and that one sounded terrible, middy, feedback-y, just unusable.

frankly, had i randomly grabbed that second one off the shelf first, i'd have dismissed the whole design as a failure and never ordered another one.

as it was, i sent them both back for exchange, and the units i've gotten and installed since have all been great.

10. walterw

so we're talking solo stuff, or in front of a band?

if there is bass and/or drums involved, forget the lyric, you'll be fighting feedback trying to get it loud enough.

the anthem might be more up your alley, as it uses the mic for the mids and highs while the saddle pickup just does the lows; it has a large percentage of the natural sound of the lyric while being more stable at louder volumes.

same with looping and effects, that might get weird and hard to control with just a mic like the lyric.

11. Megatron

Megatron Member

What about the K&K pure mini?

Just saw a few things on YT. sounded great from what I can tell.

Usually for acoustic stuff it's solo guitar and some gigs with my wife singing.

12. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I just recently put an M1A into my acoustic. I like it, it's very full sounding, and not unnatural to my ears at all.

13. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

^^ Worth a look, for sure. The K & K Pure Mini and the LR Baggs M1 (passive) are the two pickups I like best. There's probably ones out there with "better" sound, but for pure utility and ease of use, you can't beat them. I think the sound of either one of them is vastly superior to any UST I've ever used, and unlike internal mics, I can get great tones out of them without endlessly fiddling with EQ.

14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

This is a good choice. The contact piezo is. Bit more susceptible to feedback at higher stage volumes. It does a very good job of reproducing the natural sound of the guitar.
    Downside is it is passive and has no on board controls. There is also a version sold by JJB called the Prestige 330. It is the same unit without the installation template.

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I have an Anthem in my Santa Cruz. I like it a lot. It's cool how the system send the bass frequencies through the ust and then you can dial in as much live mic sound as you want with no woofiness.

16. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Great company, with great pickups across the spectrum, really, they have treated me right in all regards, and are the first place I look for a pickup for my acoustics, I currently use their pickups in all of my stage acoustics. Their CS has treated me right as well.

17. dgonz

dgonz Member

I have an M1A that I used in my Taylor 310, and now in my Martin D28. Together with an LR Baggs Para DI, it provided a damn good sound acoustically for me, and I tried a lot of gear to get the live acoustic sound I wanted.

As a reference, I play rather aggressively at times, which would make Taylor ES sound like garbage. I also put this on the bridge side of the soundhole, instead of the neck side like most people, since I like that tone much better. Besides strumming and soloing like I do on my strat, I also do fingerstyle, which this combination also sounds great with. Still not as nice as a well-miked acoustic, but I'm very picking about tone and this setup is not just acceptable to me, but sounds pretty good.

18. groovadelic

groovadelic Member

Mine sounded awful as well but I did not give it second chance. I put an Anthem in and I like it a lot more. I also have the M1A and do like it for fingerstyle.

Someone mentioned it, but the pickup you choose is going to sound good in certain venues more than others and certain styles more than others.