LR Baggs Lyric

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Taylorman, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Taylorman

Taylorman Member

Has anyone else put in a LR Baggs Lyric pick ups? What are your thoughts? I decided to put them in both of my gigging guitars and hate them. With a band the thing feedsback like mad, no bass, boxy sounding. The main reason I used it it because I have a 64 J-45 with the plastic bridge and thought it would be the right choice considering the ceramic saddle.

2. McStrats

McStrats Member

I had one and pulled it out after a gig with it. It sounded great at home through my Fishman amp but it sounded like dooodoo through a PA at a bar gig.

Acoustic tone and *acoustic/electric* tone are not the same thing. The sound of your D28...only louder is not a usable sound in a noisy environment....there is a reason why most touring pro's use UST's...FWIW my favorite *gigging*acoustic pickup is the DTAR Wavelength. If I was playing in coffee shops through a Fishman amp it would be a K&K or a Lyric.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, the lyric is not for fronting bands!

what you need is a good soundhole pickup, at least until you do right by that J-45 and get a real wooden bridge put on!

4. pima1234

pima1234 Member

A good DI preamp is the key. Dial the muddiness out.

5. walterw

good EQ is indeed very helpful with more "acoustic"-sounding pickup systems like the lyric or say the K&K pure mini, primarily to find and dial out the body resonance, but that's still not gonna get these kinds of pickups over loud bass and drums.

6. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

7. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

I ended up with the M1 active but wouldn't mind giving the Lyric or Anthem a try eventually.

Would you guys say it isn't worth it?

8. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Agreed.

9. skyhooks75

skyhooks75 Supporting Member

Have one in my Taylor 12 string and it is great!

10. throbert

throbert Member

I had a Lyric installed and it was awful. Everyone who heard it was in total agreement. For fronting a combo, I decided to get a Sunrise and although not perfect, it still an excellent choice.

11. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I have 3 in 3 guitars. Love the sound, but they do need some EQ. I have the LRBaggs Para DI set to cut 800 and 400hz. Oh and no feedback issues with it, ever.

12. walterw

i've mentioned this before, but i think there was a problem with the first run of Lyric mics; i've had to return one or two that sounded just hideous, as in boxy, weird and highly feedback prone.

the rest since have sounded quite nice, very natural and balanced, again for solo stuff not fronting a band.

13. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I get tons of compliments on my Anthem sound but again its solo , not with a band.

14. walterw

the anthem is a bit further along the sliding scale away from "acoustic" towards "feedback-resistant"; you probably could use one with a band if you had good monitoring and they weren't too loud.

15. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I like my Lyric in my Collings 0001A very much, but I'm not trying to compete with bars or bar bands. For a solo artist like me, it's a superb solution. The Anthem I had still had that horrid piezo plastic sound, though it was relatively faint; I was very happy when the Lyric came out, as the Anthem was so close. The lack of piezo made a big difference for me, but, again, I'm not strumming chords in front of a bassist and skin-pounder.