LR Baggs Para DI as a buffer for ELECTRIC..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Oct 7, 2005.

1. erksin

erksin Member

I've been considering buying an Axess BS-2 buffer to help with some high-end loss when I use my pedalboard, and just had a thought - could my LR Baggs Para DI serve the same purpose? It has a high quality buffer in it already - has anyone tried their Para DI in this way?

2. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I have! I've used it for about 3 years. Great buffer and really nice little parametric eq. It's first in my chain. Unplug the input after each use and it'll last you many hours. It's a real tone enhancer and I love it.

3. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Along those same lines - how about one of those ART Tube MP mic pre's? I have one but I didn't think of using it as a buffer until I read this thread. I guess I'll give it a shot.

jz

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

while the LR baggs is a great piece of equipment, and one that i use extensively for my acoustic, IMHO, for guitar duties, you cant beat the weeeee little BS2. weighs less than and about the size of a pack of cigarettes. great little piece of engineering.

5. erksin

erksin Member

Do you have a wah or fuzz after the Para DI? I wonder how it would affect either of them..?

I'm gonna try it this weekend to see if it works for me. I was really set on getting the BS-2 (might still), but if I can save $150 that would be great!

6. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, I'm definitely hip to the benefits of the BS-2 - I'm a little worried about being able to make the Para DI 'invisible' tonally. If the Para DI doesn't cut it, I'm on the BS-2 for sure...

7. zzzezums

erskin,
    No wah, but a fuzz - Everman Fuzzdrive G2. It sounds fine. I also have not been able to discern any tone coloring if by coloring you mean change in tone. I think it just enhances what I've got. No noise either.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Right on, thanks a lot - I'll try it this weekend!

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

Let us know how it sounds as I have a PADI and this could be interesting as I am currently using a Klon as my buffer...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. zzzezums

It sounds great!

11. erksin

erksin Member

Well I had about two seconds this afternoon to try the Para DI out with my electric rig - in the short time I had I definitely noticed an improvement in the high-end. I only tried it in one spot - first in the chain, and while it helped the highs - it added a BUNCH of noise when I kicked on my Hellbilly. So, when I get some time tomorrow I'll try it in different spots on the board - maybe after all the drive pedals..?

12. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Erskin: definitely let us know. I have a Baggs Para DI I love for my acoustic and would love to know if would work well buffering my electric signal path (of course I'll try it on my path after hearing your feedback).

13. erksin

erksin Member

I just had another thought (second cup of coffee) - if I don't set my StroboStomp to true-bypass mode, does it have a buffer in it to acheive the same result..?

14. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yes it does but not all buffers are created equal...I didn't care for the SS buffer YMMV!!

Chow,
    Seegs

15. erksin

erksin Member

Okay - had a chance to play around with the placement of the Para DI this AM and it defintely works as hoped with no additional noise, as long as I placed it after the dirt boxes. I had all the controls set flat and didn't notice any appreciable coloration. Sounded REALLY good as a matter of fact, I'm surprised at how much tone loss I'd been experiencing running all those T/B boxes - only 6, not a lot of pedals...

If I wasn't so freakin' anal-retentive, I'd be satisfied - but it looks like I'm probably going to pick up a BS-2 anyway. The Para DI takes up too much room (I've only got room enough for one more MXR-sized pedal) and only runs on batteries. Nice to know that it works for this application though!

BTW - I emailed LR Baggs last week about this and they still haven't responded. You'd think they could use this additional 'feature' as a marketing tool...

16. zzzezums

I knew you'd like it. I've actually spoken to the Baggs guys about this both before and after I tried it out. They certainly recommended it to me several years ago as I was considering it and were happy to hear I was pleased afterward. I have the older (first) version - slightly lower output on some frequencies, and if I recall correctly, the manual stated that it would sound good with ANY pickup-equipped instrument. Let us know how the BS-2 works for you!