1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ezcletus, Dec 30, 2017.

1. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

Just ordered a LR Baggs Session DI from Chicago Music Exchange. I'll be using it with my '98 Gibson CL 35 DeLuxe with a LR Baggs Dual Source system in it. Anybody have any experience with this type setup? Thanks.

cletus

2. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

I used one with an Anthem for a while and thought it sounded better than any other setup I had used when plugged in (Aura, Yamaha SRT are two I have used). I now use a Venue with an Element in a different guitar (to have the built in tuner) and am working through the added eq complexity of the venue vs the session, which has a simple eq that works well.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

do you guys find that you can turn the "saturation" completely off, even with hard strumming?

i installed a session VTC in a guitar, the pickup that includes the same saturation circuit in the onboard preamp; i found that even with the saturation turned all the way down it was grungy and distorted, to the point i thought it was broken!

i would have yanked it and returned it as defective if i hadn't let a couple other people try the guitar, because it sounded great when they played it, nice and warm and smooth. the customer was also happy with it.

i guess i just hit the strings harder than most, it was just unuseable to me.

4. ezcletus

ezcletus Member

I haven't gotten it yet. I did look at the Venue with the eq and the built in tuner but I have that taken care of already. What I'm interested in is the saturation and the comp eq. Hope this thing works - it wasn't exactly cheap!!

cletus

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

curious about this. I avoided it for the reasons listed above: it just sounds fizzy and splatty to me. but I love the idea behind it and the reasoning is sound. I'm just not convinced they pulled it off. I've yet to hear an impressive demo. here's hoping I'm wrong.

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

The idea of adding any form of saturation to an acoustic guitar fills me with horror (perhaps apart from for a effect-y section of a studio recording) and so I haven't even bothered to try it . . .