LsL guitars no longer a hot item?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Kmaz, Nov 30, 2010.

1. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Just for fun I googled Maya and found her Gbase photo back in 8/09

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also found out she is 6 lbs 14 oz which I think should be great. I fear a too light guitar will have nothing to push back with.

Now I just have to wait for Dec 21 and we are usually about ups' last stop, so maybe 5:30pm. Does anyone know if you can have your package held at UPS for pick-up? I would get it earlier and it wont have to be in the truck so long.

Mmmm, Trixie is one sexy babe!

2. ford

ford Modz Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I believe the shipper would have to make that request of UPS....so get in touch with them and see if it can happen.

3. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member

Sorry that this won't help with your shipment, but FedEx now makes it very easy to have items shipped to one of their locations. You can even change the destination online while the package is en route. Many FedEx Kinkos locations are open until late, making it pretty convenient to ship this way. I would think this method might also put you in a better position if your item was damaged along the way, but I don't know that for certain.

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Like it's hot?

5. thesjkexperienc

Thanks for the UPS info. I guess with my luck with UPS I should just wait it out. I think I am 4 out of 5 with them for my package being a day or more late. Add the holidays and it will be 2011 before I see it :(

I should have contacted the seller and asked if I could have paid the extra $$ for 2 day service. Free shipping, so I guess I have to sit tight. Oh well, live and learn!

It will be my first time with a Tele in over 20 years and I am both excited and a bit anxious since I don't know if it is going to make my right hand go numb like a Les Paul does.

6. thesjkexperienc

UPS delivered and on time! I opened it up and except for the A string it was even in tune! Crazy...

Maya is now getting used to her new home and is sounding very nice! I am not sure how it came from the factory, but the pickups were set really low, so I put the pickups where I like them and raised the action a bit and tweaked the intonation and WOW! No need to change anything! Though I am still debating a volume kit, but the pickups are very nice sounding and the intonation isnt too bad considering the physics of the saddles. I do have the action high enough now I might look into getting two longer screws for the middle saddle.

This is my first Tele in over 22 years, so I am not a Tele expert (Strats yes), but as far as guitars go I cant really find a way to improve the workmanship or playability at all. When I think about how much I paid it is a crazy deal as the fit and finish is as fine as either of my Custom Shop Stratocasters and that it is a one piece, light ash body? You would have to pay over 4 grand to get a Fender the same way. The relic job looks like real wear which is more than I can say about most Fenders.

Now I just need to explore the subtleties of Telecasterness. The neck pickup stand a little more testing and readjusting to get it just the right height and I either need to figure out how to live with the lack of intonation or check out some Rutter or Glendale saddles. If anyone can point me in the direction of how to best intonate the B & E string it would be appreciated.

I am very pleased with the guitar and if you have to go out on a limb and buy before you try it seems to be a pretty good bet that you will get a good one.

7. J. Delgado

J. Delgado Member

these are great guitars.

8. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

9. thesjkexperienc

And, they sound that much better with a Brookwood Celtic strap ;)

I have been messing around with pickup height tonight and even have the neck pickup sounding great!

10. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Can anyone please comment on the playability of their stock 7.25" radius fretboard? It's been years since I played one with a traditional radius and my last one (a Fender 57 Reissue) was a nightmare...couldn't hardly even bend up a half step without fretting out unless I raised the action super high.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

7.25 is a problem but they are as good as any 7.25 can be .
    I would have liked 22frets and a compound 10~14.
    I liked the ones I've played but the word is full of good fender copys that add nothing to the original design.

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

mslugano, I'm pretty sure that LsL uses 6105 frets on their 7.25 radius. This, IMO, goes a long way in improving the playability of the vintage-style fingerboard.

Not an LsL, but I do own a Tele with the 6105 fret/7.25 radius combo and it plays/bend very easily. I plan to refret my other reissue guitars with 6105s when the time comes. I find the 7.25 radius very comfy.

13. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/choosing-installing/tech-tips/saddle_up_your/

14. thesjkexperienc

Thanks AnthonyL, but my biggest problem is the B & E! Play them at the same fret up to about the fifth and no problem, but above that you get crazy dissonance. The way the E & A and B&E saddles sit is exactly the wrong way for proper intonation. So, I am thinking of getting a Glendale set of brass as I can set that to a 2 3/16" spacing like my Strats. I wish the Rutter saddles were made with the same spacing :(

15. thesjkexperienc

Does anyone know what LsL did for NAMM? Nothing new on their website. It doesn't even mention Saticoys.

16. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

17. thesjkexperienc

Can I still play one if my name isn't Brad or James?

Is it the late '60s Fender style or something different?

Thanks.

18. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

paisley could be cool, I'm looking forward to seeing some of their guitars with those finishes

19. LsL_Rich

LsL_Rich Member

rosewood 60's style saticoys with higher output pickups and more color options

9.5" radius option neck profiles

hotrod t-bone with high output p-88 bridge pickup and custom pinstriped blackgaurd

LSL mongrel model hybrid body style
    3 saddle trem bridge model & t-bone bridge style
    3 pickup options, 5 way switch
    p-88 bridge pickup, 12" radius neck

jerry donahue signature model with special pickups and electronics/switching

paisley t-bones in various colors

new headstock logo

updated color options

more "played-in" feel neck

20. thesjkexperienc

Thanks TK-421! That is a huge change for the little LsL company! I do hope they update their website so we can see all these goodies.

I wonder what/how their guitars could have a more played in feel? Though I do notice the finish on the neck is much thicker than my Fender thin skin, but not too far off from my '00 CS Strat.

I guess Maya is now a vintage collectable! ;)

Any booth shots are very appreciated!