Lubricating nut on Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Headshok, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Headshok

Headshok Member

I have a TMG Dover Strat. Great guitar with the best of parts. It has a Callaham aged tremolo bridge. It has a bone nut. When I use the trem everything goes out of tune. I know I need to lube the nut. Will pencil graphite work or is there some secret something that will do it better. I have heard of nut sauce but never seen any. What is the best way to keep it in tune while using the trem? I only use it lightly.

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

buddaman71, tseliot and PBGas like this.
  3. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

chap stick.

-won't harm bone, plastic, paint, poly, nitro, rubber, wood or metal
    -available everywhere [even at the gas station in a strange town at 8pm just 10 minutes before you're supposed to start]
    -CHEAP

Take the old strings off, apply a liberal amount into nut slots AND the saddles, install new strings, and run one final thin coat with your finger over the top of the string at the nut.

Hope that helps!~

PBGas likes this.
  4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Blix likes this.
  5. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

make yer own nut sauce, like i do. just crush some pencil lead into a fine powder with the back of a spoon on a plate. add in just a little vaseline to make it stick, and voila, nut sauce for you to about 6 guitars, and it cost you less than a penny

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

That'll be a mess.... Stick with the Nutsauce...

Blix likes this.
  7. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Unless you're putting it on with a butter knife, its on more or less messy than nutsauce - 10 milligrams is 10 ten milligrams. I've used chapstick for literally years and never had an issue. Even if I DIID have an issue, it wouldn't hurt anything [unlike a lot of petroleum products that would hurt things].

OP's money - he can do as he wishes.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

A teflon-based lubricant is way slicker than something petroleum jelly product like Chapstick.

9. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

There's a video on u-Tube showing you how to make "Nut Sauce" for very cheap.

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

A properly cut & polished nut shouldn't need any lubrication. Lubrication is a bandaid fix ;).

scolfax and 58flame like this.
  11. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Big Bends Nut Sauce. Or get a GraphTech self lubricating nut for your strat.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  12. ArchDukeOfTops

ArchDukeOfTops Member

I just recently overhauled my American strat. The trem would throw it out bigtime, and the g string would go out with just bends, likely a nut problem.

I put in a graphtec tusq nut and a supervee bladerunner, and now I can do Jeff Beck trem tricks until my heart's content. I tried to make it go out when I first got everything installed and it stayed in tune like a champ.

The supervee changes the tone a bit, but not in a bad way imo, sustains really well, just doesn't sound like a six screw or two post trem.

I'd put in a tusq nut, and I bet that will solve most of your issues.

dmagalhaes likes this.
  13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Chapstick works well but a tiny dab right in each nut slut with the tip of a toothpick is all that is needed. That is the only place the string makes contact at the nut. Same goes for white grease, vaseline, or Stew Mac Guitar grease.
    That said, I prefer Big Bends because of the ease of precise pinpoint application.

14. f550maranello2

f550maranello2 Member

That's exactly what nutsauce is.. petroleum jelly and graphite..

15. Sarutobi sasuke

Sarutobi sasuke Member

in the end, this above, is the truth in it's shortest form. i like the lsr nut on a strat. nothing is less stick than that

16. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Kinda funny then how it says on the site that it contains no petroleum products. And also that it's not even close to the color of graphite.

9fingers likes this.
  17. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I use nut sauce but before you use anything, make absolutely sure your nut slots are cut and polished properly. You don't want to use a lube to correct problems with the nut that should be addressed in other ways.

Also, try to reduce the number of points of friction on your guitar. You can research this online. One way I did this on my Strat was to replace the tuners with locking tuners. Now, instead of having 2 or 3 winds around the post, I have maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a wind. That made a noticeable improvement for me. Another was to go over my nut slots with 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper, then apply nut sauce. No issues with the floating trem.

18. Evan_R

Evan_R Supporting Member

Vaseline and a tooth pick. Done.

19. Headshok

Headshok Member

20. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Poor setup. Properly cut nut, proper angle on the term, and proper float off the body will do the trick. A dab of vaseline never hurts.

candid_x likes this.