Lucite Dan Armstron-style Guitar Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hugh_s, May 18, 2015.

1. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

So, anyone have any idea what pickups would lend themselves best to one of these? I have an old 1970-something Univox Lucy, basically a rip-off of the Dan Armstrong guitar. Mine has a partially busted pickguard and some other minor issues. Originally, it came with two single-coil pickups in a humbucker-sized enclosure, fixed bridge (rosewood saddle) and serious weight.

Been thinking about buying a 11x17" sheet of pickguard material, cutting it to original shape and dropping in a single bridge pickup.

I have:
    Lace Sensor red dually
    Gibson BB (whatever came in the '02 standards)
    PRS HFS

Could drop in a P90 if it would fit, but they may be too wide. Don't want another single coil, generally and can't imagine it working out in the end.

Any suggestions? Practical experience? Random jokes about lucite?

2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Why not use formica with the bad fake woodgrain and go for the real original look? As for pickups this sounds like a job for a P-Rail to give you some versatility.

3. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Does formica come thick enough to hold a pickup, jack and all the other goods?

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

You could cement it to a backing material first I suppose, and then cut the whole sandwich together, but even though it is thin it is pretty rigid.

5. shovelhead82

shovelhead82 Member

You could use wood grain engraving stock that comes in 1/16" thick and most likely is available in thicker sizes. It is phenolic sheet as is formica. It has multiple layers such as walnut wood grain and white.