lucky 7?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neastguy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

is this more of a jass fusion amp than a classic rock amp? or are the clips just throwing me off that Ive heard.... also, I know its only 7 watts, but do you think it can keep up with a medium loud drummer? (if that makes sense)lol:horse

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I would say classic rock all the way! Loves single coils and hums... great amp all around.

Depending on the size of the venue, the 7 W pushes some pretty good air through my CAA 1x12 loaded with Emi Man-O-War!

3. neastguy

interesting.... are those $850 or can one get em cheaper?

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

this amp can keep up with LOUD drummers, and it is way more classic rock than anything. I couldn't believe how much 7 watts would push.

5. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

They are correct, sir!

6. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

sold mine for $675 in mint cond...you should be able to find it for around that.

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Can anyone put the volume into perspective? Louder than a Tomcat or Ghia?
    How does the bottom end compare to these amps?

8. neastguy

\

any reason why you sold that you might want to share? thanks...:BEER

9. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

As loud as a Ghia with as much or even more bottom end. Very punchy with a smooth top. The most balanced tone in any amp I have owned. I simply put all the knobs straight up and it just sings. Add more volume and the magic gets better. I love the Ghia but to me it can be a tad glassy especially with a strat in the 2 and 3 pickup positions. The L7 smooths that out without sacrificing tone. I'm having more fun playing through this amp than I've had in years. Andy is great with answering emails too. Very helpful. Can't recommend this amp more!!

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

+1. This is all very accurate.

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I was just ending my non-MV stage, I think. The Lucky 7 was great, but I realized that touring I would need to go back to the master volume camp. It was a perfect amount of gain for me, too. However, it was just so loud that I couldn't get it to break up for playing around home...that was a big turnoff.

I ended up taking the money and using it towards an upgraded rig, that's all. It was a great amp and out of the amps in its class, it was top-notch. If you're looking for that under-10-watter to rip your face off, this is it. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions! :D

12. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/amps/fuchs.php

They have them in 3 colors for $799 shipped. It says the shipping will be deducted at checkout. I really like the Lucky 7 after playing a friend of mines.

Very nice classic rock tones with the EL-34 at 7 watts. If you want to clean it up a bit just drop in a 6V6. The biggest drawback to the amp is the lack of an effects loops. That has been my holdback in buying one.

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

:Spank :Spank..... WOW.!!!!!!!! Now you guys got me thinkin again...Just when I had my amp situation all straitened out!!!!!!:Spank :Spank :Spank

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Very cool...is this amp pedal friendly? How does it deal with an overdrive pedal in front of it such as a TS-9? Are we talking about Fuchs ODS type tone quality at 7 watts or is not quite that good sounding?

15. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

Like most amps it takes distortion/fuzz type pedals better with a 6V6. With the EL-34 in I like to use an OD. I enjoy my time based effects in the loop so I cannot give you out front info because I never run them in front of any amp.

16. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

effects loops in non-master volume amps are pretty pointless... thats why there isn't one.

17. neastguy

thanks for the tip, I was thinking about getting this for a practice amp at home and also as a backup amp for gigs... I guess its easy to under estimate the power of 7 watts.. maybe I should rethink and look for a master volume amp...... :(

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I wasn't sure if the Lucky 7 had enough clean headroom, so I ended up going with the Blackjack 21. I've played two gigs with it so far (third will be tonight). I'm liking it more every time out. According to Andy Fuchs, it's the same front end and tone stack as the Lucky 7, but with a 21 watt 6V6 output section instead of the 7 watt single EL34. I may still get one to serve as a backup amp instead of hauling my (too powerful) Marshall 2555 around. Curious - what cab/speaker combinations are you all using? Presenty I'm using an Avatar 2x12H (V30 and G12H30); gotta admit, it ain't bad with that cab. I'm waitig for a Tonespotter to arrive. I'm gonna put that into my Mesa Theile-ported 1x12 cab.

peace,

jb

19. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

this might be a tad too much for a practice amp :)

20. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Gonna revive this thread...Abotu how much clean headroom on the Bj 21 before it starts to breakup? Small club volume at this clean headroom?
    Thanks