Lucky Clay Jones Pedal Owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Souled Out, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I've been experimenting. I stumbled across running a Barber Tone Press/Clay Jones/Sea Blue EQ/Delay combination. Seems I can dial in some great tones at reasonable db's. Seems to work well with any amp and guitar in my herd. The Sea Blue lets you really find the sweet spot after dialing the sustain and drive you want. I am sure at some point I will have to check out the Honey Bee, but MAN does this set up make me happy!:dude

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yes the SBEQ 'finishes' the CJOD sound for me - its that last litle 5 % that you never want to be without again.....

the Honey Bee and CJOD are very different pedals tho.....

the SBEQ does a similar thing with Landgraffs and Mos/Zendrives...

Yes 'Sweetspot Builder EQ' might be another good name for it ;)

3. OOG

OOG Member

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Honey Bee is a very dynamic touch sensitive distortion in the low/medium distortion range...... CJOD has quite a bit more distortion and gain and a different basic EQ....

The CJOD is dynamic but in a different way - the CJs magic for me is in the initial attack being immidiate and then there is a sustain bloom..... the notes jump out but also sustain....

I was watching a Tomo video this morning as someone said he was using a BJF Pale Green Comp on them....

the PGC and LGW into the SBEQ can make that sound too as well as many more .... in fact there is a BBOD > LGW sound that is similar...... I hope Tomo will get to try them at some point too.......

5. Nekle

Nekle Member

I haven't heard his OD pedal but I got the chance to a/b my stock Rotovibe with one of his modded ones. It was awesome. Totally different pedal... why can't dunlop do that to begin with :mad: I don't want ti have to pay for a brand new pedal and then have to pay to get it modded to sound good.:(

6. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

How do I check out this CJOD?
    Does it kick on a EL34 amp or better for 6l6 amps?

7. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Seems to work well with all my amps. I have only had for short time and have used mostly with Cornel Plexi 45/50. The bad news is I think he made 50 or so. That is why I titled the thread "Lucky".

8. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

ok, the sea blue eq sounds like nice complement to the cjod. Is there a cheaper pedal that will do the trick as well?
    I tried Timmy behind the CJOD which opens up the frequency range as well. But it was not like a dream combo to my ears. Now I use Timmy in front of the CJOD and rarely use them together.

Bye,
    Lars

9. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

are these still for sale

10. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, Bob.
    That was good advice...and confirmed what I just ended up with as of late. I had the CJOD at the end of the chain, but I think it's much better at the top. Followed by a little boost (RC or TMB).

I like your taste in pedals.

Wheels