Lucky UPS driver drops off Chapin

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Testudo, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member

at my house. Here's a pic. i am literally on the phone talking about it with Bill as I type.

[​IMG]
    Details:
    Chapin Hawk, quilted mahogany top, ash back. Solid maple neck w/ purpleheart skunk stripe on the back. 25 1/2" scale. The neck is FAT.
    TV Jones Magnatrons in bridge & neck position, Chapin-made single in the center. Oh, and trem bridge with titanium saddles. I don't know if titanium makes it better, but it sounds cool to say it.

2. Amitar

Amitar Member

Grats on the new Chapin. Sure looks nice. The purple heart skunk strip sounds very cool. Always extrememly exciting to get a new Chapin. What kind of sounds do you get with the new Chapin.

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I dig it, that's sweet!

4. Testudo

Testudo Member

Well, after a few minutes of tryout, I get a lot of sounds. Specifics, specifics...
    Well, the maple neck makes it magnitudes brighter and snappier than anything else I own. It's definitely got the whole vocabulary of Strat/Tele tones, especially with the bckers tapped.[edit: the buckers don't tap. The puch pull turns on the bridge pickup] Volume and tone full on makes for maximum clarity and birghtness (obviously) so that Strat brilliance and twang is there.
    Sitting here twiddling my thumbs trying to come up with words. It's hard to characterize because there is so much range. Roll the tone back and it warms up and smooths out, roll tone off and there's an expressive wah-set-back sound.
    I can't even yet describe the humbucking tones. They're sort of "single coil - but fatter", if that means anything.
    Haven't had a chance to work on overdriven/gainy lead tones yet. It will take some redialing in of amps.
    Okay, there's some incoherent rambling about tone.:rolleyes: That's what half an hour did for me - I haven't begun to plumb the depths of this guitar yet. After all there are 10 [edit: 7] completely different pickup settings and, since it's a Chapin, the volume and tone work wonders across their whole sweep.

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

Marry her now! She's a keeper! Nice :)

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Ohhhh, Peter, Peter, Peter...

That's just stunning! I don't know whether birch or quilted mahogany is the most beautiful wood, but whatever, that's a knockout. :)

I'm still getting to the bottom of the 3 tones that come with my Keef TBird - TEN is just outrageous! Shame Bill's guitars are such one-trick ponies, eh? :D

New Chapin Day is something everyone ought to experience!

7. jda

jda Member

Crikey! Nice, Peter!

8. Mike

Mike Member

Right on Pete! Tweaker's delight, that one! It's probably about time for a Chap-fest to welcome the recent additions into the family. It takes a village!

Mike

9. Testudo

Testudo Member

Mike (and anyone else interested!):
    I'm planning a get-together in Concord October 23rd.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

It's officially on my calendar, Peter! Thanks for organizing these events.

11. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

beautiful guitar. Play her with great joy for a long time.

cmn