Lukather amp on Roseanna?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed84246, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ed84246

ed84246 Member

It looks like a Marshall in the original video, but there are rumors to the contrary - a modded Deluxe maybe?

2. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Bob Bradshaw was on the road with Luke during that time; he had two mesa heads (180 watts) running into a mesa 2x12" vertical slant back for his clean sound; another boogie top (100watts) with load resistors for his dirty sound into another vertical cab, A Rane Splitter/Mixer to pan his stereo rig and to tweak his rack effects, like: Diatronics CS-5 Stereo Chorus, 2-Roland 3000 Digital Delays, MXR Digital Reverb, Eventide Digital Reverb and more; Bradshaw floor pedal of 9 banks of 4 presets per with dedicated foot switches. Those were the days of rack gear.

Anyone seen my Bad Monkey?

Dannyz likes this.
  3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Touring and studio rigs are very often completely different for obvious reasons.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

One of his songs his famous for using a Dumble to record. Can't recall if it was this one or not?

5. mik777

mik777 Member

based on old interviews with Luke.. He used his Les Paul through a Deluxe Reverb!

6. Randy

Randy Member

I seem to recall an Ebay auction for one of Luke's Marshalls (I think it was a '78 JMP 100 watter) a few years ago and they claimed it was the amp used on that solo.

Dannyz likes this.
  7. jb1984

jb1984 Member

here's an excerpt from an old interview - since IV came out in 1982, there's a good chance it was a paul through the rivera-modded deluxe or marshall:

8. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I would never have guessed that. It sounds Marshall stack all the way, to me...........Great tone, whatever he used.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I did a gig with him about that time and he used a Marshall half-stack and got that exact same tone. I can't imagine a Deluxe producing that tone.

10. JPenn

JPenn Member

I remember him saying in interviews he used a Rivera-modded Deluxe a lot.

11. jb1984

jb1984 Member

I don't know - seems like a Les Paul with a Tubescreamer in front of a cranked, modded Deluxe could get really close to that tone - after verb was added at the board, and such.

12. ed84246

ed84246 Member

The trick here is it wasn't really a Deluxe, it was a Rivera-modded Deluxe. If you ever played a Super-champ and compare it to a regular champ, you'll probably understand what I mean - it's a total internal "pimp my amp" (or "pimp my champ" in this case).

If that was the amp he was using, there would be no need for a tubescreamer at all for that solo...