• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Lukather’s new album .. plays Bridge of Sighs

Paul Rathjen

Silver Supporting Member
His singing is better than Joe Satriani’s, which is saying nothing positive. I went back and listened to some of his solo stuff recently and I came to the conclusion that he was only good in a band context. This song validates that thinking.
I don’t particularly care for Joe’s singing but he doesn’t sound drunk.

I thought Luke’s singing sounded very amateur. The balance between the singing and music it’s just odd and off. It sound like it was recorded in my basement on a 2i2 and old computer.

He’s a great guitar player and some of the tones and stuff he was doing was good but I just I don’t know it sounded like a hot mess. That song in the OP that is. Some of the other stuff I’ve heard him do of late is fine.

I’ve heard better stuff posted on here by forum members honestly than the Op’s link.

Paul Rathjen

Silver Supporting Member
I will preface by saying that I'm a huge Lukather fan. I've seen him do this cover live, and now this. I think his tone fits the song well, it was well produced and had a soulful lead vocal. Those slagging his playing...his tone...seem to be missing the point. He isn't trying to be Trower here...this is his take on that classic tune.

Honestly, the way some of you guys talk smack about other musicians is pretty embarassing....especially as I doubt anyone on this thread possesses the chops or musicality or experience that Lukather has.
If you put your music up on a forum and or put somebody else music up on a forum why would you not expect to have a mixed review of people who like it and people that don’t?

I mean that’s pretty much the basis.of all trolling and butt hurts that exists on a forum.

It’s not a valid argument to say “well you couldn’t do any better” to someone that doesn’t like it. Maybe they could maybe they couldn’t but that doesn’t mean they have to like it either way.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Lukather has his head in the clouds - he's been playing with too much distortion for so long he cant discern what real tone is. Don't get me wrong - he's fantastic player - but his sensibility has left him.
These are the kind of internet comments that Luke rallies against. In most all interviews lately he talks about people who sit at their computer and criticize him and Toto. He's done more than most guitar players in the last 40 years, yet people still flog him! I don't get it!

To say he can't discern tone is nuts....

I think his tone fits the song well. But what do I know?

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
If you put your music up on a forum and or put somebody else music up on a forum why would you not expect to have a mixed review of people who like it and people that don’t?

I mean that’s pretty much the basis.of all trolling and butt hurts that exists on a forum.

It’s not a valid argument to say “well you couldn’t do any better” to someone that doesn’t like it. Maybe they could maybe they couldn’t but that doesn’t mean they have to like it either way.
I must have stated my opinion poorly, as you didn't get it. I have no issue with someone going "I liked Trower's tone better on this than Lukather's"...or "IMO he was using too much distortion on this". Or even, "I don't like this". Those are perfectly fine and state a personal opinion. It's the "terrible" or "can't discern what real tone is"...or "that was awful"...or " Gawd Sounds like an old shredder is a Vegas showroom band"..or your comment that his vocals "sound drunk". Those are just people slagging an artist, and against the rules of this forum. You can give an opinion without being disrespectful of someone, and especially someone that has the credentials and respect of other musicians that Lukather has.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
I like it, but it's a little longer than it needs to be. Prefer the original, though.

John Quinn

These are the kind of internet comments that Luke rallies against. In most all interviews lately he talks about people who sit at their computer and criticize him and Toto. He's done more than most guitar players in the last 40 years, yet people still flog him! I don't get it!

To say he can't discern tone is nuts....

I think his tone fits the song well. But what do I know?

I'm not sitting at my Computer listing out complaints - it's a critique of this song - I can have my own opinion.

John Quinn

John, with respect, you really didn't critique the song. You just slagged Lukather personally. Sometimes it's how you say something.

The critique of Lukather is a critique of his playing on the song. And I stand by my statement - that he plays with too much distortion on this track - and its very dense - he may hear it he may not.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
The critique of Lukather is a critique of his playing on the song. And I stand by my statement - that he plays with too much distortion on this track - and its very dense - he may hear it he may not.
John, as I mentioned earlier sometimes it's how you say something. You didn't say that above....you said this:

Lukather has his head in the clouds - he's been playing with too much distortion for so long he cant discern what real tone is. Don't get me wrong - he's fantastic player - but his sensibility has left him.

el greco

Sometimes it's how you say something.
Therein lies the key!
A friendlier approach can bring a lot of clarity to a critique. Also, for a critique to be taken seriously, it should be one that has been motivated by empathy, insight and intelligence. Then you can get an instructive conversation out of it.
So yes, I feel as though critique is great, when it's sincere instead of ego fulfilling.

gijoe

I thought his backyard performance to his Weed-Whacking neighbor was much more soulful.

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
The only redemptive thing for me in it was some of his fills. Other than that, the singing sounded incredibly lazy, especially in what seems to have been a deliberate attempt to not even care about the importance of the melody line. Keyboards sounded completely out of place and when the solo started I'd had enough. Seems to make some people happy, but absolutely not for me.

fitz

Man, I love Bridge of Sighs by Trower, it is one of my all time favorite songs. I know that Lukather is a great player, did a lot of studio work and had success with Toto. But I couldn't name a Lukather song or album to save my life. But that version of the song is really missing the mark IMO. Real excessive OD guitar, background fills don't fit with the song as if they are out of time and vocals that aren't that good. I couldn't even get through a couple of verses. And I tried listening twice.